The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
They're pretty ridiculous wherever you try to buy them new. I'd say the JY would be your best bet for anything cheap.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I can take a look around my local ones if you want. What's wrong with yours?

Tyler/T-Unit

warbird

Reaction score
attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

how do people get the dash and other textured plastic tri, so smooth and painted? do they just sand down the texture? and what about the padded portions of the dash? how do they keep the paint from flaking off when the plastic flexes with heat?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
There's a couple of members that have done that. Can't remember which build threads that they are posted in though.
It takes hours & hours upon hours. Like anything, the finished job is only as good as the prep. DA sanders, sanding blocks, lotsa sandpaper & fingers (for the corners!) are required. Then prime & sand some more! Mostly done by the owners, because shop rates add up fast. If you were to pay someone to do that, it wouldn't be long before the total would be worth more than the truck! More of a labour of love.
Someone else may be able to post up the links to those threads.
My S-15 Jimmy had the dash done, but the P.O. painted the dash white. Hated it. The worst part of the whole truck. On sunny days the reflection off of the dash onto the windshield was so bad, I couldn't see where I was going. The color didn't help, but the shiny paint sure added to that. I could see where that even a darker shiny color would give the same effect.
One of the first things I did to that truck was, when I had the windshield out to be replaced, I painted the dash in a semi-gloss dark brown. (The interior was a 2 tone tan & brown.) Sanded down first. That helped a lot but it was still an annoyance.
I think it looks good though. Just as long as it's in someone else's vehicle! Not mine, thanks!

kyviabama

Reaction score
Can I switch the upholstery from my left/right side buckets w/ armrest in my 94 ecsb silverado? It looks like I would need to cut holes for the levers and armrest, and patch the other sides. The left side seat in the typical leg/butt-slide area is a-bout to rip. So, if I can switch them, I'll get more life out of the original interior. I'd settle for just swapping the seat bottom upholstery, but it appears more difficult than the back. Do you have good news for me? O- to complicate things further, the left side is power (with controls on front of seat) and the right is manual.

Last edited:

kyviabama

Reaction score
What if I just switch the whole seats? The powered seat is slow anyhow, I actually prefer the manual. But I LOVE my armrest, that's where I get stuck on that route.