The HPP Racing tune that wasn’t a tune at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok it’s been awhile since I’ve had a chance to work on my truck, but maybe a couple of y’all will remember my last post about my experience with taking my ‘97 with rebuilt 5.7, upgrades, 0411 swapped, Powerdyne Supercharger to get it tuned and the guy tuning it basically took my money and didn’t really do **** or even try…said he couldn’t or wasn’t getting signals from O2 Sensor…etc…etc…well here is where things are at now…
Everyone suggested removing the Supercharger from the situation…so I took all the plumbing and belt off of it, sealed it up…and threw together a cold air intake setup on it…same AFM…sensors…etc…but I did change the 2 Bar MAP back to the 1 Bar that was in it before going to the 2 Bar… I also got a bung welded on to the right bank header for the 02 Sensor…and now the truck will fire off but basically will not run… Now I understand it needs to be tuned again…but I wasn’t expecting it to not run at all…
First question is if changing out the 2 Bar MAP with the 1 Bar be the cause or playing a big part of it?
Next question is…if I buy me a $300-$400 OBD2 scan tools like for example the OTOFIX D1 Lite’s will I be able to see and make sure that I’m getting signals from the sensors that I need to be getting signals from…for an example the 02 sensors, MAF, MAP, etc…and/or gather any info/data about the “tune” the guy did at HPP Racing a few months back? I’m not trying to tune it, I just wanna know it’s ready to be tuned before I try to get it tuned again…
Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated…
Shane

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok it’s been awhile since I’ve had a chance to work on my truck, but maybe a couple of y’all will remember my last post about my experience with taking my ‘97 with rebuilt 5.7, upgrades, 0411 swapped, Powerdyne Supercharger to get it tuned and the guy tuning it basically took my money and didn’t really do **** or even try…said he couldn’t or wasn’t getting signals from O2 Sensor…etc…etc…well here is where things are at now…
Everyone suggested removing the Supercharger from the situation…so I took all the plumbing and belt off of it, sealed it up…and threw together a cold air intake setup on it…same AFM…sensors…etc…but I did change the 2 Bar MAP back to the 1 Bar that was in it before going to the 2 Bar… I also got a bung welded on to the right bank header for the 02 Sensor…and now the truck will fire off but basically will not run… Now I understand it needs to be tuned again…but I wasn’t expecting it to not run at all…
First question is if changing out the 2 Bar MAP with the 1 Bar be the cause or playing a big part of it?
Next question is…if I buy me a $300-$400 OBD2 scan tools like for example the OTOFIX D1 Lite’s will I be able to see and make sure that I’m getting signals from the sensors that I need to be getting signals from…for an example the 02 sensors, MAF, MAP, etc…and/or gather any info/data about the “tune” the guy did at HPP Racing a few months back? I’m not trying to tune it, I just wanna know it’s ready to be tuned before I try to get it tuned again…
Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated…
Shane
At $300-400 for scan tools just buy HP Tuners.

For $500 it includes 2 credits to actually tune your trucks PCM.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC, HPP is in Garland. Are you in DFW?

The PCM is not going to like a 1-bar MAP on a 2-bar tune at all. I had to correct the MAP sensor on mine simply to run the 1.25 bar marine MAP. It fired up before I corrected it but was not happy at all.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
IIRC, HPP is in Garland. Are you in DFW?

The PCM is not going to like a 1-bar MAP on a 2-bar tune at all. I had to correct the MAP sensor on mine simply to run the 1.25 bar marine MAP. It fired up before I corrected it but was not happy at all.
I live in Mabank, about 50 miles SE of Dallas…for about 9 days a month…the rest of the month I’m in Hobbs, NM…

I swapped out the 2 Bar with 1 Bar at the same time bypaaaed the supercharger and plumbed in the cold air setup…sat the 2 Bar up by the antenna and at some point it ended up on the ground and my dumbass stepped on it, snapping the nipple off…O’Reilley’s didn’t have another 2 Bar in stock…Auto Zone had one that they thought was a 2 Bar (Duralast SU1078)…I put it on and it didn’t the same thing the 1 Bar did…after doing some research today I figured out it wasn’t a 2 Bar…but one is supposed to be in by noon tomorrow! Lol

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
At $300-400 for scan tools just buy HP Tuners.

For $500 it includes 2 credits to actually tune your trucks PCM.

I was kinda hoping someone would confirm what I was already telling myself I should do…it’s all just so foreign to me and there’s so much information out there to try to go through and process…and I’ve got the attention span of…”oh look a Skittle” lol…

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was kinda hoping someone would confirm what I was already telling myself I should do…it’s all just so foreign to me and there’s so much information out there to try to go through and process…and I’ve got the attention span of…”oh look a Skittle” lol…
Lol, you sound like me as an 18 year old kid, 20 years ago when I started messing with tuning a TBI system. Steep learning curve, especially at that time. There is so much more information out there now than there was and the software is much more advanced and more user friendly.

Even back then, I read a lot of information over a couple weeks, ordered a prom burner and datalogging cable, chipped my old TBI ECM and had the hang of adjusting stuff in a week or two time. Within a few weeks I had an engine that went from running terribly to running very well.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its really not that bad. If you buy it just post your tune and we can help you get it atleast drivable again. I remote in to guys laptops a few times a day walking them through how to read the tune and save it. And tune holley ECUs all the time while the driver is out cruising around.

And no a 1 bar map on a 2 bar tune wont run. It will think it's making 15psi boost when your try to crank it.

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, you sound like me as an 18 year old kid, 20 years ago when I started messing with tuning a TBI system. Steep learning curve, especially at that time. There is so much more information out there now than there was and the software is much more advanced and more user friendly.

Even back then, I read a lot of information over a couple weeks, ordered a prom burner and datalogging cable, chipped my old TBI ECM and had the hang of adjusting stuff in a week or two time. Within a few weeks I had an engine that went from running terribly to running very well.
Lol…well I need the most user friendly route possible!!!

97SWBCHEVY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well putting the 2 Bar back made all the difference in the world…and taking the supercharger out of the equation is something I definitely should’ve done from the start and got everything right with the build before putting it back in the mix…
It’s still needing to be tuned ofcourse, but I can actually get on the highway and drive it now….things do go sideways though when I get up around 4500+ rpm…it starts poppin and bangin…raising hell, kinda sounds like it’s hitting a rev limiter… Another thing I have to figure out about is part of the supercharger set up, it’s tied into the fuel likes, it’s vacuum operated, and I’m guessing it’s a fuel regulator of some sort, it’s mounted by the brake booster, lil diaphragm round disk looking thing…all of the stuff was on the truck when I bought it, but no information or paperwork with it…trying to find out anything about a Powerdyne is like pulling teeth, but I did order a manual on it today, but I’m not feeling very positive that I’ll receive anything…any ideas??? I’ll add a pic on here…
Thank You Sir!

Attachments

• IMG_9443.jpeg
    IMG_9443.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9444.jpeg
    IMG_9444.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 2

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well putting the 2 Bar back made all the difference in the world…and taking the supercharger out of the equation is something I definitely should’ve done from the start and got everything right with the build before putting it back in the mix…
It’s still needing to be tuned ofcourse, but I can actually get on the highway and drive it now….things do go sideways though when I get up around 4500+ rpm…it starts poppin and bangin…raising hell, kinda sounds like it’s hitting a rev limiter… Another thing I have to figure out about is part of the supercharger set up, it’s tied into the fuel likes, it’s vacuum operated, and I’m guessing it’s a fuel regulator of some sort, it’s mounted by the brake booster, lil diaphragm round disk looking thing…all of the stuff was on the truck when I bought it, but no information or paperwork with it…trying to find out anything about a Powerdyne is like pulling teeth, but I did order a manual on it today, but I’m not feeling very positive that I’ll receive anything…any ideas??? I’ll add a pic on here…
Thank You Sir!
That is a FMU, fuel management unit. They came in various forms. Some increase the pressure 1:1 with boost, others are 2:1, 3:1, 4:1 even seen 6:1. I ran one combined with a MSD Boostmaster timing box on my Weiand 177 supercharged TBI 350 years ago since the ECM was blind to boost. I had a 4:1 unit, at 10 psi boost my fuel pressure was 50 psi and at idle and out of boost the fuel pressure was the stock 14 psi.