thats not a square body!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
It's generic terminology, not official nomenclature. It could be used to refer to any number of squarish body styles.

Saying GMT400s aren't square bodies is like saying that Fords can't be square bodies or that Emerald Green Metallic isn't green.

That said, it's not what should be used in the title when selling a truck.

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
It's generic terminology, not official nomenclature. It could be used to refer to any number of squarish body styles.

Saying GMT400s aren't square bodies is like saying that Fords can't be square bodies or that Emerald Green Metallic isn't green.

That said, it's not what should be used in the title when selling a truck.

X2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Lol, you guys do know that "square body" has been used on GM trucks by "hobbiests" to describe a previous generation for almost as long as there's been trucks, right?

When the new 67's came out, the 60-66's were dubbed "square body", then the 73 turned the 67-72 in to "the square body", then the 88 turned the 73-87 into "the square body".

Most guys here just don't span enough generations to know any different.

They're all just big rectangles on wheels, so they're all "square bodies" if you want to be picky.

That's why you talk years or chassis platform instead of slang like OBS, OOBS, NBS, squarebody, etc.

Take cars like mustangs for example: they go by years or platforms, like SN95 or fox chassis.

Slang names just confuse everything. Just like what's going on here.

:)

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
It depends where you are on this forum people know you mean 73-87 when u say square body same with obs oobs nbs nnbs etc.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
It depends where you are on this forum people know you mean 73-87 when u say square body same with obs oobs nbs nnbs etc.

Meh, just shows me a guy doesn't really know what he's talking about....

:dunno:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Unlike some here, I do span several truck generations, and this is the first time I've ever heard of a a GMT-400 being called a squarebody. They're not square at all. They revolutionized what a truck was, when they came out. Sure you can call anything, anything you want, but that doesn't make it fitting. I call them squarebodies, becuase they are squared off, and GM didn't have a GMT name for the platform, that I've ever heard of. Year never works, as most of us know.

Squarebodies are what I grew up with being new trucks, but there were still 68-72's around, of course. I didn't like the new fangled GMT-400's when they came out :)