Temperamental A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gm muscle

Reaction score
I have a '97 K1500 that has been having A/C issues. When I first switch it on, everything works as it should but the longer I drive, it has a tendency to blow out the air with the same force as when you initially turn it on. On occasion with a trip lasting over an hour, the blower can be set on high but you hardly feel any air come out. You can hear the blower respond to the different speeds but without much effect inside. I can direct the air to come out from different vents, so I don't think the air direction actuator is at fault.

Lately, I'll have the system on but not on max, then suddenly it sounds as if I hit the recirc. button.

I have no idea as to what is happening...I'm hoping for suggestions and help. I'm not sure if this belongs here but oh well...

Thanks guys.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Having a little trouble understanding but it sounds like what you're saying is the force of the air flow lessens over time?

The evaporator core may be freezing up due to marginally low refrigerant charge or other problems. You can diagnose this fairly easily by turning off the A/C button so that it's just the vent fan (and since you're 95-up be sure it's not in either of the defrost positions on the dial because that will run the A/C compressor regardless of the button setting) - after running just vent fan for a while the ice will melt, you'll get cold air for a short while because it's blowing across what's left of the ice, then it will finally turn warm again since the compressor is off. You can then cut the compressor back in and see if it seems normal until it freezes up again.

Another possibility that is fairly common on 95-up is that the fan switch connection is bad about overheating. Eventually it will melt and quit altogether. You can buy a new pigtail for it and I recommend soldering it on and protecting the joints with heat shrink; a soldered connection will perform far better than any crimp connectors. Each crimp connection in the chain is a point of possible resistance.

Richard

gm muscle

Reaction score
Thanks Richard.
I re-read my post and it is a rather difficult to understand!! LOL!.

I will check out the refrigerant level and see what its like. I'll also look into getting another switch fan pigtail. Another thing I failed to mention is that when the A/C and fan are off, I feel air intermittently at my feet. I know that GM vehicles have air constantly running through the cabin. Is this part of the underlying problem as well?