Temp sensors created equal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavyjunk

Oh cool I can change this
Reaction score
I've searched and searched and cannot find the answer. Looking to replace the coolant temp sensor for the computer on my 93 cclb/454. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, cts on right side of engine for aux fan, left side of engine for guage, and front of engine for compputer?

The biggest question, are these three sensors all the same?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Not 100% on their locations, but they are different sensors completely. The ones for the gauge and the computer are thermistor sensors. Their ground resistance changes according to temperature. The one for the ECM is more sensitive to temp than the gauge. It needs to be more accurate for Fuel control. The gauge just needs to be in the general area. The one for the auxillary fan is a wax pellet type I believe. It will make contact at a certain temp and then break contact at a lower temp.

Hope this helps

heavyjunk

Oh cool I can change this
Reaction score
That makes perfect sense. NapaProlink website doesn't differentiate the sensors apart, guess I'll have to go to the store in person and hope they can give me the right one.

anybody have partnumbers?:biggrin:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Sorry, tried to look it up, but none of the parts places show a difference. Best thing to do is see a parts guy in person.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I got a Delphi from Amazon for about $15 shipped. I replaced the one in the intake.