Tell Me Why...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...we wold not be able to adapt the TPI vortec intake to our trucks. I'm sure people have thought of it and it for some reason never used it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3861/?rtype=10

I know it still needs runners and the upper plenum, but would this not be easier to adapt to our trucks than the marine intake? It has EGR provision, etc...

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cost, I'm sure, is a big reason. Especially getting an aftermarket TB, upper intake, runners, and base. That seems like it would get pricey, quickly. A Pro Flo XT would probably be a better option, if you don't have to have an EGR. Many options...

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree, tons of options, but I would like to keep my EGR for emission purposes.

My other thought was to use the aftermarket vortec MPFI and just drilling and tapping a hole in the manifold for EGR, or in a spacer plate between the manifold and the throttle body. It just seems like there is a simpler way than the Marine intake.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if you're in a state that requires a visual inspection, would having a totally different induction system still allow you to qualify as emissions legal? And if you don't have a visual, and just a tailpipe test, would you even need the EGR to pass?

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No visual here yet, but being a '96 truck with OBDII they scan it. Now I'm not sure if they just look for codes, or if they look for any other sensors that are turned off via tunning. I'd elect to have a provision for the EGR from the get go though. So that I'm able to pass the sniff and scan test. Visual will be a toss up, but I do plan on using the stock intake and air filter configuration.

A used marine intake is about $800 plus all the work that goes into one. I'm figuring there is a way to make the aftermarket intake with fuel injector provisions work with all the stock L31 sensors. Only thing that I'm not finding is EGR provision, which with the divorced EGR plate is only a drilled and tapped hole away. Now I'm not 100% sure how the EGR plumbing within the intake works, but I'm figuring it's nothing more that a passage on the front of the stock intake that dumps into the plenum. This will require some more looking into.

For the TPI intake, the stock upper portion and runners can be used (whole stock assembly with injectors and rails can be had for about $250), while buying the lower vortec intake to fit the L31 (~$400-$450). $700 or so dollars total while having all the provisions to run the motor. Only thing with this manifold will be figuring out the intake...