Tech: Every possible dash switch for GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
We can take it a step further: a transistor is also like a relay, but can only handle enough current to fire off a relay coil, so it could be the ground for 85/86. My only experience with this was with an SDS standalone engine management system. In order to drive the ignition system I wanted to, I had to solder in 2 transistors. They each had 3 pins. The computer would apply power to the first pin which meant current could then flow across the other 2. This closed the circuit for the ground on a relay coil, and finally the relay itself (30/87/87a) could carry the real juice.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So relays just depend what your trying to power? Not everything electrical needs one? In my case I only plan on powering lights which all have came with relays. If I installed an aux fan I believe I need a relay?.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So relays just depend what your trying to power? Not everything electrical needs one? In my case I only plan on powering lights which all have came with relays. If I installed an aux fan I believe I need a relay?.

The switch will tell you what it's rated for, but I prefer to use relays when I can.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well next time I go to the junk yard I'll try to jack one so I can try to take it apart