TBI - TPI - Multi-Port EFI Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So much for keeping the discussion civil...

Your gut feelings or ridiculous brand biases are not science.

And nothing you've posted is, either. You've provided one link from a Honda forum, and one link from Hot Rod which exemplifies a '99 Dodge Dakota. While admittedly I'm not familiar enough with either of those vehicles to make a judgement call on their factory intakes, I'm willing to bet there are significant design differences when compared to these trucks. Even if the FIPK made more power on those two vehicles, it means nothing to GMT400 owners. Plus I'm willing to bet the dyno test you saw on FSC was for a GMT800 truck or newer.

And as far as no one calling K&N on their dyno sheets, that would be pretty hard to do. Most of the time we're talking 5HP or less difference anyway, which is well within the margin of error for many dyno setups.

Here is something I can say with absolute certainty. My Suburban has a factory K47 airbox. My red truck still currently has the FIPK installed (which will be changing shortly). The Suburban's IATs are consistently lower than the trucks, under any circumstances. Moving or not.

Because I'm not an idiot, I actually did my research before I bought the FIPK so despite your insulting claim that I'm defending my ignorant purchase, I'm actually defending the facts I used to make that purchase decision in the first place.

Yeah, I've been there too. Then I decided to hook up a scanner and see for myself what difference in IATs it made. Plus I got tired of cleaning my MAF when it inevitably fouled from sucking filter oil into the intake. (And no, I didn't over oil it, it did that brand new out of the box.) Don't get me started on the reason K&N filters flow better than paper...

But like I said earlier, believe what you like. If those completely unrelated dyno tests and magazine articles make you sleep better at night, then more power to you.

Reaction score
So clearly we have gone way off on a tangent now. And the discussions beginning to be less than civil. So why don't we stop this conversation here and if you guys want to continue it I would suggest you start a new thread somewhere else.

I will however say one more thing on the subject before moving on. If anybody would like to send me there K&N FIPK and any other filter set ups that they would like tested I will be happy to take them over to the Dino and get actual numbers on all of them. I will make sure to return any set ups that I receive for this purpose.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed. That escalated and went off topic quickly.

That's cool of you to offer to dyno test intakes! I'd gladly send you my K&N FIPK for testing once I remove it, unfortunately it's for a 96+ V6 truck. I'm assuming you probably have a pre-'95 V8.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you follow the instructions on my build thread on modifying the truck ECM and PROM, you can then bolt on whatever MPFI system you want, and it will fire all injectors in batch. You said TPI, which is what i went on with in the same thread but you can also check out the miniram. like i think i said before also, you might even be able to bolt on the vortec injection, but you would have to get heads to match. that actually might be kind of cool, to see an obd1 computer fire vortec injectors. But that is going to take more work, since vortec heads put the AC over on the drivers side, alternator on the passenger. you would probably get more power out of the vortec injection and heads.