TBI rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dime to a dollar it’s the junk chinese. Spectra distributor causing your headaches. I won’t even sell them anymore, too many times I have customers having issues with them and pissed because they have been chasing their tails.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Datalogs, especially on a 160 baud computer, are not nearly as useful as a vacuum gauge for these kind of tests. You will only get a couple of data points per second so you really only see trends. The gauge responds instantly.
Where, what tests do you suggest I do with the vac guage? I unplugged the booster line and measured vac there. Anywhere else, other tests I should do?

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dime to a dollar it’s the junk chinese. Spectra distributor causing your headaches. I won’t even sell them anymore, too many times I have customers having issues with them and pissed because they have been chasing their tails.
So with everything u read symptom wise, you think spectra is to blame? I never had it running without this dizzy, and that's pretty much the most expensive thing I had to replace. I've pretty much sunk about 750$ in parts and NONE have fixed my idle issue. Engine has 105k miles on it.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the datalog file if anyone is interested. Just a quick beer run. Shows cleanish idle at startup, and **** idle before truck was turned off. Just installed new ICM so i decided to do a nother log to see if anything changed.

Logged using TunerRT Pro.

thanks,
tyler

Attachments

• after new ICM.zip
    15.8 KB · Views: 3

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me throw this out. Here's a snapshot towards the end of your log. Notice the RPM jumps to ~1000 and the IAC jumps too. Something is telling the ECM to do this. I know you just installed a new ICM but, this is indicative of a bad coil and/or ICM. I wonder if you disconnected the EST bypass wire when it starts doing this and see if it smooths out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Another thought, is your EGR working properly? Maybe get a block off plate to see if it helps. I'm not saying to block it off permanently, that's up to you. If you do, you will get an SES light for that until you burn another chip.

Next thought, maybe your connectors and/or wires inside the dizzy, to the coil, and to the ECM don't have a good path/connection?

Any thoughts?

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me throw this out. Here's a snapshot towards the end of your log. Notice the RPM jumps to ~1000 and the IAC jumps too. Something is telling the ECM to do this. I know you just installed a new ICM but, this is indicative of a bad coil and/or ICM. I wonder if you disconnected the EST bypass wire when it starts doing this and see if it smooths out.

Another thought, is your EGR working properly? Maybe get a block off plate to see if it helps. I'm not saying to block it off permanently, that's up to you. If you do, you will get an SES light for that until you burn another chip.

Next thought, maybe your connectors and/or wires inside the dizzy, to the coil, and to the ECM don't have a good path/connection?

Any thoughts?
are you referring to the 1000rpm at the end? That was me pressing the throttle...

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tee'd vac gauge off with MAP sensor. MAP read 18-19hG in tunerpro, when guage read 22Hg. Idled fine until i put it in drive after idling for 20 min. Once I put it back in park idle substantially deteriorated. Guage slowly fluctuated from 22-21hG.

Reved engine and guage dropped quickly to 0, then rose quickly to 25hg then leveld out at 22.

Is this possibly a MAP sensor not giving correct readings, and also confirming i dont have a vac leak?

Any thoughts?

The wiring under this hood is very old and deteriorated. The pigtail from the ICM to the IC has some exposed wires as if something cut it, I for got to take a picture. I dont have many damaged wires, but they are all have weak insulation especially on top of the intake manifold.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tee'd vac gauge off with MAP sensor. MAP read 18-19hG in tunerpro, when guage read 22Hg.
First Guess: Your gauge is miscalibrated. I'd be more likely to trust the MAP sensor than a Chinese Hazzard Fraught bottom-feeder gauge.

I'm not guaranteeing that the gauge is screwy, just that it's more likely than a MAP sensor.

Is this possibly a MAP sensor not giving correct readings, and also confirming i dont have a vac leak?
You can't determine whether you have a vacuum leak by measuring manifold vacuum--unless the vacuum leak is really huge.

The wiring under this hood is very old and deteriorated. The pigtail from the ICM to the IC has some exposed wires as if something cut it, I for got to take a picture.
If "IC" means "Ignition Coil", it was probably punctured on purpose by some moron trying to connect a piece of test equipment.

I used to see that fairly often. Starts out as a small hole in the insulation where the pointy probe went through, but eventually the insulation tears open exposing more and more conductor.

I dont have many damaged wires, but they are all have weak insulation especially on top of the intake manifold.
Fix all that.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First Guess: Your gauge is miscalibrated. I'd be more likely to trust the MAP sensor than a Chinese Hazzard Fraught bottom-feeder gauge.

I'm not guaranteeing that the gauge is screwy, just that it's more likely than a MAP sensor.

You can't determine whether you have a vacuum leak by measuring manifold vacuum--unless the vacuum leak is really huge.

If "IC" means "Ignition Coil", it was probably punctured on purpose by some moron trying to connect a piece of test equipment.

I used to see that fairly often. Starts out as a small hole in the insulation where the pointy probe went through, but eventually the insulation tears open exposing more and more conductor.

Fix all that.
This is pretty much the worse I got. ESC module (srry bad pic). I was wondering if my module was bad or bad wire somewhere. But didnt replace/fix that yet.....