TBI Rebuild, now have high idle. I know what your thinking..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what I love about this forum. So many people are here to help and not run there mouth. You guys are awesome! :D I will try this when I get off work at 6am and see what happens and let you guys know!

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well long story short.. It isn't done yet. I have been gone at academy for 5 weeks.. this last weekend was my first weekend back and I spent it rebuilding tbi.. swapping in a new steering column.. and taking the steering column out of my white s10 to tear it apart to fix the slop in the telescope part. My plan.. keyword.. plan lol is once I get a little money I am going to take the bed off and start sanding the cab and bed.. so I can prime it. Hoping to make it look like a hot rods black.. plan to spray with a gun.. nothing real great due to it being perty rusty on the rockers, but we will see. Once the bed is off I want to drop the tank and get that mount cut off. It is very annoying to listen to the cab mount pop and creak every turn i make.. so it will get done for sure. lol I have heard of taking primer sealer and tinting it with toners to make different colors.. thats what I would like to do.. go with some off the wall color, but I doubt it happens.. it will probably be flat black again..

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's cool, hey I know it feel's to get backed up with too much going on! I hope it work's for you though!

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I need to take wire wheel to it and clean it up and paint it real nice to assure it wont rot out again lol

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i tried resetting the pintle by jumping the terminals.. and let the codes flash out I think twice.. and it still seems to idle high.. if it changed any.. it may idle at around 900 now?? very possible that the IAC is sticking due to everything else being old and junk on the truck lol.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I switched out the IAC with one that the pintle was longer/ moved out farther.. it idled down and idled alot lower, but not even 15 min later it was back to idling high again.. SO.. I have cleared the ecm by code flashing and I have switched out the IAC.. and still idles high.. so something inside the ecm is telling the IAC to move the pintle in for a high idle.. is there anything on the tbi that would cause the ecm to tell the iac to idle high? If i am correct.. the motor will idle high when the computer reads the temp and the motor is cold.. and idle down once it is hot.. Which is read through the temp sensor.. Not sure where to go next just yet.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I just wanted to let you guys know that I have it fixed now and let everyone know that when you take the tbi off.. make sure any of your cables are not holding you up. Somehow my cruise control cable was holding the throttle open and making it rev high! Got it fixed now lol