TBI Flooding Out While Trying To Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 89 has had this problem intermittantly since I put the Holley 670 TBI on it about 6 yrs ago. Within the last year or two its gotten more frequent. Sometimes it will start right up. Now, most of the time it will turn over but normal, but not start. I can smell raw fuel coming out the exhaust. If I let it sit 30 min or so, sometimes it will start but usually it just floods itself out again.

I asked Holley about it several years ago, but they said they haven't heard of that problem being related to their TBI. I remember searching and finding a little bit of info, but can't find anything now. I'm wondering if I might have a problem with my computer because I feel like I've checked out most things I can think of.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I put a new coil and distributor in it. Is there another component related to the electronic ignition that I should check. I suspect spark may be intermittant or something is telling it to dump a crazy amount of fuel in at start up. I've replaced the cooland sensor in the manifold.