tbi flooding out bad, gas in oil, injectors running not spraying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so first up just put in a new CTS or coolant temp sensor thinking that was it.

Well i guess not.

truck floods out completely, gas in my oil, smells like gas in it, overfilled by an inch on the dipstick. oil is thin as well because of it. It's brand new oil I just put in. No miles, maybe 5-10 mins run time on it, was not overfilled before.

awhile back when I got it back together and running(had sheetmetal off underhod for paint) one time it idled very fast and was unusual, did this after the battery had drained and I charged it up, then after that one time it was back to normal.

Then just out of the blue I go to fire it up, fires for a second and dies, then I have to floor the pedal to fire it and then it doesn't fire right off. It sputs and coughs and trys and trys, puffing smoke out the pipes smelling of raw gas but after maybe 30 seconds or a minute of holding the pedal down and it doing this it fires and runs, trys to smooth out, then when idleing it starts loading up it seems and when I rev it runs horrible. I shut it down, won't refire, same deal have to floor it.

Next day, fires right up, check the injectors, they are pulsing you can feel the spirts of fuel coming out of them, but it's not a nice cone spray it's running like huge drops or pouring like but not solid stream.

I put in the CTS, unhooked the battery, tried it, same spray from them. I did it again letting it stay unhooked for about 10-15 minutes, still the same.

my o2 is new and plugged in, my map and esc is also plugged in and I have no clue what is causing this and why just all of a sudden.

My gas in the tank is old and very low so would it be something got in the system to cause this? I'm thinking of a complete tbi clean and rebuild, drop tank, clean, flush the lines and new filter. I don't want to do it and it not cure this though, I already wasted $30, 15 in oil and 15 in a new CTS. Right now money is very tight.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
injectors are not leaking when the engine isn't running. I cycled them on and off thru the key no cranking and had no drips at all.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that it sounds like a blown diaphragm in the FPR, with it overfueling that badly. Your plan sounds logical and reasonable, so I would pursue it.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
change the oil now, the gas in the oil is eating the bearings up.

gas washed cylinders will make it not want to start, doubt its strictly a regulator as the pump does not put out that much pressure and usually a bad diaphram gives you low pressure as the fuel just goes to the return line, if you clamp off the return line it will only hit about 15 psi, sounds to me more like junk injectors or a leaking gasket between the upper and lower halves of the injector housing

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good advice guys and please keep it coming.

it's pointing towards a tbi rebuild and I have no problems with it, just hope it fixes it.

But yes oil is definately going to be changed. I won't fire it up with that crap in it, just for a min to check injector spray the other night.