Tbi exhaust manifold problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What to do when the exhaust manifold probably shrank and can’t be installed? I’m afraid the spreading tool will crack it.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine shrunk, there is a lot of “meat” around the holes, so I enlarged them, so far so good.

maybe time for headers if you’re not a fan of dorman replacements....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That problem is common as dirt. Good luck.

Aside from finding a NOS exhaust manifold, you can get the Communist replacements which will likely need to be machined and detailed before installation. Dorman and other brand names market exhaust manifolds, the Chinese ones are terrible yet still better than the ones from Viet Nam.

Take 'em out of the box, send 'em to a machine shop to be planed flat and smooth on the gasket surface for the cylinder head mating area. Then look inside for cast-iron boogers that will have to be hand-ground to remove.

Ideally, you install the spreaders BEFORE you remove the bolts.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of headers for a daily driver because of the heat and leaks, but our trucks have enough air flow under the hood that they're okay.

Can your truck be down for a while if the manifold cracks? If so use the expander tool, and if it cracks the manifold replace it. If it can't be down just go ahead and pay for the manifold now.