Taillight mod: amber turn light

Would you do this mod? Do you think it is necessary?

• No

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Yes; no

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The camera kinda whites it out but it looks pretty solid in person.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow that's really nice. I have heard of the Brazilian taillights which is what inspired me to do this (plus I was bored). The low beam reflector remind me of the 88-89 style Bosch headlamps pattern.

That was my thought, too. I've seen similar high and low beam lens/reflector designs in some other really nice stuff.

Brazilian headlights! Do want!

Me too! I tried finding a courier in Brazil who would ship some of them to the US for me, but I never did find a good solution. I think we had a member here from Brazil at one point who looked into it briefly but something didn't work out on his end. WalMart.com sells them there so supply doesn't seem to be the issue, it's getting them to North America. Wish we could figure something out.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Someone please take a plane to Brazil and go hit up some salvage yards!

I'm looking at you, @Z71Hobbs. :lol:

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That was my thought, too. I've seen similar high and low beam lens/reflector designs in some other really nice stuff.

Me too! I tried finding a courier in Brazil who would ship some of them to the US for me, but I never did find a good solution. I think we had a member here from Brazil at one point who looked into it briefly but something didn't work out on his end. WalMart.com sells them there so supply doesn't seem to be the issue, it's getting them to North America. Wish we could figure something out.
I wish some chinese factory could start dishing these out, I feel like that would be the easiest solution to the Brazilian issue. I mean they MUST be made in china...right?

ME TOO 2

Reaction score
Here are the steps to add in the mod:
  • Once the circuit board is off the taillight, dremel or cut away at the 12v reverse trace to provide a surface which one can solder to later. Do the same for the brake/turn circuit.
  • Now cut into the 12v reverse trace until the trace is broke. I used a dremel with a thin cutting wheel to accomplish this.
  • Solder to the now broken 12v reverse trace on the bulb side, NOT the 12v live side. Do the same for the brake/turn trace.
  • Solder a wire connecting the two and reassemble taillight.
If one ever decides to return the tailight function back to stock, all that is required is to remove the wire and solder bridge the 12v reverse trace.

Good idea; and very well executed
The backup/fogs are sweet
As an FYI
In the UK (other paces in Europe too?) rear fogs are common
They are not intended to light the way in reverse; but are red, & very bright so that others can see you from behind

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks cool, but i already switched out my 3rd brake light and tailights to IPCW LEDS. Thinking I'm done with lighting in the back for now....