Taillight malfunction, Need Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody

Reaction score
So heres the deal... I have a 95 Chev K1500 when the headlight switch is set to off the brake lights and rear signals work fine, unless I press the brake pedal when I have the signals on at which point I get a rapid flash up front and a very faint blink in the rear. If i turn the headlight switch to either of the other two selections my rear taillights lose all power. The only way someone would know I was braking would be my 3rd brake light.
I have HIDS, Ive replaced the headlight switch, the relay under the dash labeled for my lighting and checked all the fuses. Anyone have any ideas?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like someone cobbled up a trailer wiring connector and got some wires crossed up.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Pull the front turn signals. I found this. I had the same issue.

You must be registered for see images attach

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Either of the above......and check your grounds

The ground wire on the bed can do some crazy stuff if its corroded/broken. Its on the drivers side frame rail just ahead of the rear bumper bracket. Would be a good place to start anyway. This is usually the problem when the symptoms change when the headlights are on/off.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I had a bad wiring harness that was hacked up for trailer lights, and it caused the lights do that too! Check your wiring harness by your back bumper.

ragz64

Reaction score
also check all your ground wire from the cab to the engine...on the right side under the a/c drier to the back of the right cylinder head...mine was loose and caused me fits....