Tail Light issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put all fresh bulbs in. I have no running lights and very very dim brake lights. Only thing working properly are the turn signals and reverse.

This is what the PO did to both sides of the tail light, I dont know why you would do this?? Is this a mod to get both filaments to come on? A wire is cut out of the plug then connected back to another wire and then the top metal piece...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I would throw new circuit boards on there, but it seems like thats not the issue.

Last edited:

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Looks like he tried to fix a grounding issue.
I would remove that wire and look under the rear bumper for any issues at the tail light harness plug.
You may have issues with a ground down there or at at a botched trailer plug install.

TXDIRT67

Reaction score
It definitely does not look like a brake light mod to me since it just goes to the quick clip for the screw. First thing I would do is to check for continuity between the ground wire and the frame with both lights removed (meaning the extra wires won't be grounded through the screw). If everything is good there, remove the added wire and look elsewhere for your problem. There would be no reason to ground both lights if that were the problem because if one light was grounded through the screw on the housing then it would reconnect ground to both lights through the original ground wire. I would next do as 96Z71ECSB said, check for a botched trailer plug install. If everything is OK there, check for proper voltage at the plug, check each wire. Have someone hold the brake pedal down while you check for that voltage. If all those things test good, it might be the circuit boards. I have a 91 that had problems with the brake switch sticking on and leaving the brake lights burning until the battery ran down. The heat from staying on for long periods ended up burning out the circuit boards. I replaced the brake switch and rear circuit boards and everything was back to normal. Good Luck

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
spot on guys, sure enough I jiggled the trailer plug and everything is working normal again. Now to figure out what the hell is going on, I hate electrical.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
spot on guys, sure enough I jiggled the trailer plug and everything is working normal again. Now to figure out what the hell is going on, I hate electrical.

I fixed my high beam the same way hahah I got frustrated and shook the wires and it turn on and off a couple times so I squeezed and twisted the wires until it stayed on haha. let me know how you fix this if you figure it out!

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will do. I got gremlins in my cargo lamp and interior courtesy lights too. I really just wanna take it to a GM dealer and say fix all my **** lol, but who knows what they will charge.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do. I got gremlins in my cargo lamp and interior courtesy lights too. I really just wanna take it to a GM dealer and say fix all my **** lol, but who knows what they will charge.

What's goin on with those?

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score

I ended up having to jumper wire mine in my 94'. Saved me a lot of time from digging into the wiring harness. As long as it's done right and safely IMO. I'm sure some on here will disagree tho.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's goin on with those?

Well, the cargo lamp I found the PO unplugged it so I tried plugging it back in and it started smoking so thats just left unplugged. Only one of the courtesy lights is working right now but hasnt always.