Switching from Standard to Automatic Transmission in 1990 chevy cheyenne 4.3 ltr v6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

naphidim

Reaction score
Ok, I have a 1990 chevy cheyenne 4.3 ltr v6 engine, with a getrag 290, 5 speed manual transmission with overdrive, I am wanting to switch out this transmission with an automatic transmission. Is there an automatic tranny i could use that has the same size driveshaft and if not then what tranny can i use and make the least amount of modifications, in other words what automatic tranny would be easiest to replace my getrag/muncie 290 5-speed manual with overdrive rear wheel drive, not 4x4?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Switching from Standard to Automatic Transmission in 1990 chevy cheyenne 4.3 lt

Well, you're looking at a driveshaft change regardless.

A 90-ish truck would be a 700r4.

Off the top of my head shopping list:

Steering column for shift quadrant (swap it in whole)
Gauge cluster or shift indicator to bolt into standard cluster
Assorted shift cables
Transmission
Flex plate
Driveshaft
Maybe a new tv cable ( not sure if a b8 cable will work on a v6, length and adjustment is critical on the tv cable)
Some wiring rework.

Personally, I'd look for a donor truck and grab it all. That would be most cost effective and a straight bolt in.

Line 'em up side by side and start swapping parts.

Good thing is it doesn't have to be a v6 donor, a v8 transmission will bolt right up.

Torque converter might be a bit if an issue as the v6 probably has a touch higher stall speed the v6. Drivable, but a bit more of a dog.

If you want to swap in a th350 or th400 it's a bolt in, except you'll need a driveshaft again.

Then a few other custom bits like a shifter quadrant, flex plate, etc.

On other note is if you go with the 350/400 there's no overdrive so worse highway mpg.

Good luck with your swap.

:)

naphidim

Reaction score
is there a good place or website i could go to that makes or has driveshafts if i go for the 700-r4 swap?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Switching from Standard to Automatic Transmission in 1990 chevy cheyenne 4.3 lt

is there a good place or website i could go to that makes or has driveshafts if i go for the 700-r4 swap?

Just get one out of a 2wd 700r4 equipped gmt400.

Literally a dime a dozen.

You're still gong to need the other bits I listed.

Really, you're better off (and money ahead) ifyou buy a whole truck and strip what you need out of it.

Then sell or junk the rest....