Sway bar bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97K1500Mike

Reaction score
Ok, well I did a search and didn't find an answer so I figured I would ask outright.

I was in the process of replacing the sway bar bracket bushings and I got to the final bolt on the drivers side front to remove and, I got no movement from it.

After drenching it with penetrating oil and letting it sit for a while I tried it again and still nothing.

Finally I tried heating it up and when I tried to move it then it started to round off.

So now I have one nice fresh side and the other is the old mushy bushing.

Anyone got some suggestions to getting that bolt out now? I know there isn't enough room to get an easy-out in there if I cut it.

I'm stuck any ideas would help!! Thanks in advance!

97 K1500 4WD for the record!

8716valver

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You only really have two choices. Drill it out starting with a small bit or cut it. Personally, if I could get a cutoff wheel in there I'd just cut it.

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had similar problem. If you have gun oil use it. It's high alkali and can rust very well Take some rag, wet it with the oil, wrap your bolt and leave for a few hours. If you don't have gun oil, use brake fliud it's highly penetratng. But be careful with painted parts. If you leave brake fluid on a painted part, the paint will come off. I've managed to unbolt, hub aasembly that way.
Also you can heat the part and then cool it with water. Metal housing will enlarge after heating and bolt will shrink after cooling. And the last way i guess is to drill it, take some trusty solid torx head and hammer it into the bolt remains.