Swapping out a 99 L29 454 for a E85 Carbed high compression stroker 503

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm gathering all the info to do a engine up grade in my 99 crew cab 4wd.
I have a freshly built 12:1 comp Gen VI block bored & stroked, 781 heads, with a 850cfm e85 carb.
Ive never done a vortec to carb swap and have a few question on what if anything that needs to be done to the computer/ECM in order for the ignition and transmission to work properly???
Any info would be greatly appreciated....

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im betting that your best bet for ignition is swapping the dizzy for a vacuum advance dizzy. As for the trans I would suggest a stand alone controller poor having the ecu retuned to eliminate all but the required trans signals.

Reaction score
yes I will be using a msd vacum dizzy. Is ignition wire the pink wire from ignition to dizzy, like they are on the older square body's ?
I will look into the stand alone controller. Thanks
Anyone know of any good deals on one?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will have to have the stand alone controller, that is $$$$ should be able to get all gauges to work correctly still no issue.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Before going to a standalone transmission controller that costs almost a grand, I'd find out what the ECM needs from the engine to run the transmission. It might be that you could hook up a TPS, and other sensors and be done with it.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think you would need a stand alone. Your PCM is support by EFLive and HP Tuners.

I am sure this guy can answer all your questions.

Check out black bear performance dot com

12:1 and E85 is going to rock.

Reaction score
I don't think you would need a stand alone. Your PCM is support by EFLive and HP Tuners.

I am sure this guy can answer all your questions.

Check out black bear performance dot com

12:1 and E85 is going to rock.[/QUOTE

Cool, I will look into Black Bear Performance. Yes the 12.1 on E85 should make this thing a freaking BEAST!!!!!

Reaction score
Ok so I've got the ignition and tranny figured out. Anyone ever run 2" primary headers with 3.5" collector? If so how did you route the exhaust??