Swapping Heavy 3/4 ton suspension and axles into my '88 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Gotta wait till tomorrow for the idler arm to get here, so everything is put on hold for now. Whenever I get the steering buttoned up and finally get it in for an alignment, I will stop by pick-a-part and look for an xj shaft.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Got the new Idler and Pitman, but noticed the tie rod ends are bad too, so I've gotta replace all 4 of them. Now I wait for money haha.

Here's the list of what I need to have it "done" (are project trucks ever really "done"?)
~Windshield (mine is cracked and separating)
~Front Driveline (mine got destroyed when I broke my half-ton axle, and the donor truck's was missing)
~Front Axle Actuator (has old thermal actuator, going to buy an electric for it. Tried to get the one out of my old axle to work, but it doesn't fit. Asked GM and they said that in 92 there was an axle tube change on some trucks, so a few of the 9.25 front axles require an actuator with a smaller case to clear the axle tube.)
~Tie Rod Ends
~Alignment

I think that's about it for now.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Been driving the old girl for 3 weeks so far and no major problems! Purchased new Idler, Pitman, and Tie Rod Ends, just haven't gotten around to installing them and getting it aligned. That's next on my list once I have money for the alignment. Drove it last week hauling animals back and forth to our county fair and it pulled the trailer great. Still need to go in and get an XJ steering shaft for it, and noticed the bottom of the rear drivers brake backing plate was wet this morning, so either the wheel cylinder or axle seal is leaking, my guess is axle seal. Either way, simple enough fix. It's taking a bit to get used to the rougher ride with the heavier springs, but I can honestly say I don't regret anything with this swap.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Looking good man, I don't regret going 3/4 ton either. Once you go 2500, you never go back.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Ik haha I need one right now I tow too much not to have one