Swapping Heavy 3/4 ton suspension and axles into my '88 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Yeah, luckily my old beast has the external slave so it's easy to get to.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
10-4 on the flares

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Got it done! Figured the master cylinder was the problem, so I unbolted and disconnected it and pumped it by hand, and it barely trickled a few drops of fluid out. Bought a new one and now it works great!.
You must be registered for see images attach

Next started installing bumpers, grille, tow package, and finishing up some small stuff.
PS, in case anybody doesn't know, and wants to see proof of it, brake fluid eats paint! The lighter blotches on the front and top of my mirrors are from not washing brake fluid off of them after a mishap I had when the lid was off of my master cylinder yesterday. Washed it off of everything else, but forgot about my mirrors. Will have to touch them up with some paint later.

I decided to install the drivers side battery box from the 92, along with my passenger side box, that way I can run dual batteries. That will come in handy whenever I get around to my cummins swap (hopefully) or I may rig up a dual battery winch setup later, but its there now at least. Used the diesel's inner fender well, so I didn't have to drill any new holes to mount the battery, just had to relocate the charcoal canister closer to the radiator.

Setting the bed on.

and drove it up town and put some money into the tank.

After driving it, I know it needs an alignment for sure, and I remembered that the idler arm is completely worn out. Already have a spare idler arm, but fought trying to get the old one out of the steering linkage for a few hours in the 90 degree heat with no avail. Hit it with penetrating oil, heat, and a lot of beating with hammers. Still hasn't budged. Sprayed it down well with penetrating oil and will go at it again in the morning. Once I get it swapped out I'll run it into town and get it aligned, then all I have to do is connect the cruise control and put the hood on.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Got the idler arm out, but accidentally caught the boot on the tie rod on fire while I was torching on the Idler. Have to replace it, but looks like the one off of my old frame will work for it. Noticed it has a lot of exhaust leaks I missed, so I will have to patch them. Also noticed a lot of backfiring on deceleration, but that could simply be caused by the exhaust leaks, or possibly the timing may have gotten knocked out when the strap broke and the cab landed on the distributor. Have to check the timing tonight or tomorrow. Have to say I already miss my 3.73 gears though, these 4.10's aren't good for my fuel mileage haha.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Backfiring cleared up after driving it around today, and with the help of a torch, finally got the idler arm off and replaced. Steering is pretty tight now, but still needs aligned. Gonna take a while to get used to the HD springs, rides a little rougher than it did with my worn out 1/2 ton springs.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
And, my "good" idler arm wasn't in as good of shape as I thought. Gotta buy a new Idler and Pitman before I can get it aligned.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I would go ahead and do the xj steering shaft swap while i was at it. She'll drive like a dream afterwards.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
I had never heard of the XJ swap till now, definitely gonna do it, but I'm about broke now so it'll have to wait.