Swapping 94 to 92

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brningdawn

Reaction score
I have extra throttle bodies and intakes so that shouldn't be a problem. Do you guys recommend using the 3 wire o2 or swap manifolds and stick to the single? Seems like it could be a better option to go 3 wire in case I go to shorty headers. I'd just have to figure out a place to tie in for power and ground, right?

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 87' likes the 3-wire. I used a Bosch 20A relay mounted next to the wiper motor, ran power/fuse to the firewall stud and grounded directly to the ground strap coming off the driver's side head, at the wall. It really makes a difference coming down to idle when it's cold, like nobody said. Running the relay off the Orange ignition circuit works great. If/when you go headers, you can run the O2 pointed straight down into the bung and relocate the bung further away from the exhaust manifld. Because it is heated, it will warm up on it's own and last longer than a year, like the one wire is rated for, by moving a foot down stream. Just rout your wires carefully. The exhaust will eat your wires, if you do not plan on tying them down well.
My only option was a double zip, loosely around the shifter linkage. It has worked well for over a year.

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep it simple. You take the 94 engine strip it down to a complete "" Long Block " . Pull the 92 engine set it next to the 94. Swap all external sensors, attachments, ring gear, etc. Just like if you bought it off the GM parts shelf.
And now would be a good time to do a thorough inspection on pulleys, idler bearings, tensioner, water pump, easier now than after it's installed.
That's how I, we did our engine swaps most of the time. Unless a plan B was called for.
Good luck.
Agreed 100 percent, best way is side by side, although they are the same, some things can be different for where it was built and the options it could have, and great time to make sure it is good for long time worry free.

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the 88 style crossover in the 94 extended cab, no converter used, back to one in 2 out Y-pipes and over the rear, not really loud unless on the throttle lol