Suburban rearend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question. The rearend on my 1999 gmc suburban is shifted to the left about .5 inch but I'm not sure if that is normal. I tried adjusting it. But I'm not sure if it's the leafs, shackles, hangers, or maybe even the frame. But want to find out for sure if it should be like that. It is noticeable with the 20" rims. Thanks guys

BoominSVX

Reaction score
Leaf spring bushing? That's about all that holds it there. My 20's do the same thing with the 14bolt and no lift. Noticable shift to the right. As long as she's not crab walking, you should be alright. If you want to fix it, i'd start by looking at the bushings in the leaf springs. Not something I'd fancy doing... unless I was lifting.

BoominSVX

Reaction score
The front of the leafs bolt right to the frame and shouldn't be able to move, so just measure something like the top of the shakle to the frame and then check that against to other side. If one of the shakles has more room between itself and the frame, you would know the rubber inserts have taken a beating. I haven't checked mine because it doesn't really bother me. Just be sure the pins are still holding the leafs in the perches on the axle tube. My bro found a broken bolt (pin) as he loosened the u-bolts on his plow truck. The spring pack just fell apart. Something like that doesn't really cause issues until u-bolts are removed as they still hold it together, but if the head gets sheared off, it'll allow movement to. Certainly something you can find with a measuring tape and 2 eyes.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I see what your saying, and I must say I can see the difference with out a tape measure. The right side leafs are closer to the frame, then the left side. I already check to make sure the leafpins were in place a while back because it was bothering me so much. After that I was just stumped. I was thinking maybe the shackles. But I had no idea that it could be the bushings. Is there anyway I should go about replacing them? I have installed a few lowering kits before, but something about pressed bushings always get to me. Are there any difference between a 2wd and 4wd hanger and leaf? Because I found these and was wondering if they would work http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/view...escription&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=98790596771

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rear...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put the energy suspension bushings in my 92, not a terrible job but by no means fun either. I had the box off to make things a little easier and used a torch to remove the original bushings, it made a mess but did work, since I didnt have a press or vise big enough to remove them. Install the new ones jsut needed to be tapped in place. They have been in my truck now for 4 years and still seem tight.