Stuck in sand but not enough power to spin wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I have 31's on my 2wd 99 Suburban (same truck otherwise), and even with 3.42's I would have been able to spin the wheels in soft sand.

Now I have 4.10 and obviously it's a bit easier, but it seems to me that you should have been able to spin them just fine if you were stuck.

In your situation, you said the tires weren't spinning. The only part that could have been absorbing the RPM would have been the torque converter. Get yourself a bluetooth OBD2 dongle and plug it in, use your phone/tablet to take live data.

I use Torque Pro ($5 Android app, worth it) which can read Torque converter slip and trans temp.

Next time you go offroading, esp. in sand/mud, hook up the app. Put a TCC slip digital display and Trans temp display onto the App, and if you get stuck with "no wheelspin", look at your TCC slip. If it matches your engine RPM, then obviously that's where you're losing your RPMs.

If the TCC is locked up, but you're still going nowhere, then you have some other issues going.

kooshball

Reaction score
Thx for all the replies...truck has been fine for a while since I started only using 4low in the sand. I can cruise at 15-mph with almost no throttle input. Maybe I was just pushing the truck too hard.