Stuck door chime?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '93's door chime is stuck. It plays when the door is open and the key is removed. I've been having a ton of trouble with the key ignition getting stuck and hard to twist and junk like that. I know a circuit has been closed and will not open no matter how hard I jiggle it. Is there a temporary solution to this? I am graduating next week and have 0 time for anything. Guess this is it's way of telling me to stop putting it off and fix it already.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You can take the door chime switch out and un plug it. Thats about as quick, easy and free as you can get.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Look under the dash by the driver's side kick panel, its against the firewall in the top right corner of the box there, its a black rectangular box, just pull hard. Excellent time to do a chime swap, you'll be halfway there!

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah I know all about the boxes. I made the Camaro door chime swap on here lol. I'm sorry I should've been more specific I was just wondering if there's any tips or tricks to mess with the ignition switch. I would've had it done but I just don't want to drop $20-30 on steering wheel tools.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Oh yeah I know all about the boxes. I made the Camaro door chime swap on here lol. I'm sorry I should've been more specific I was just wondering if there's any tips or tricks to mess with the ignition switch. I would've had it done but I just don't want to drop $20-30 on steering wheel tools.
Was just about to comment about the camaro door chime swap and how you were the one who posted it lol.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I actually found out that you can use the ones from the old Caprice or Roadmasters too, I got one and it chimes the same, but is slightly off pitch, and the Camaro one sounds much better. The Caprice one is a much lighter brown box so easy to tell the difference.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Oh, and the only thing I could think of to help with your ignition issue is maybe spray a little WD or PB in the key slot and slam the key back and forth rapidly a few times to see if whatever is sticking inside comes loose. If that doesn't work, you're gonna need an ign lock cylinder

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can borrow the steering wheel tools from the parts store, no need to buy 'em.

Your tumbler is probably going bad.

The small set of contacts that you remove just prior to getting the bolt out for the cylinder is the "key in ignition" circuit...

Richard

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well fellas, I pushed my luck too far. Tonight I drove it to the barn, and the ******* switch wouldn't turn off! It just would not fold back to cut the engine off. Truck was stuck running. O tried every angle in every gear with the steering wheel and nothing. Zero play. It'll move forward to start it though. Hell at one angle the key even came out. Pulled the battery cable, then the alternator switch, and it still ran! Must be some kind of beast. Finally the second time I unplugged the alternator it shut off. Guess I'll be buying and borrowing parts in the farm truck tomorrow.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Easier to just cover the intake and or throttle body with your hand... it'll choke it out... just an idea if it happens again..

sent from what use to be a great country...