STS on a L31 with 170,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Does anyone think this is a bad idea to do and not rebuild the engine? The engine runs perfectly and I have never had any problems with it. (where is that plank of wood at?) It has even ate 3 transmissions. I am going with the old saying if its not broken don't fix it.

Of course I will upgrade to the 80-E and a 14-bolt by then.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would just save up money to set aside for a new motor, but just run this one until it dies. I have 160k on my 95. It runs perfect, as much as I would like a new upgraded motor, I figure why not just get every last mile out of this one.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah good luck with that one! my sisters 97 is at 280k or 290k and it doesnt have a leak or tic! of coarse it has been well taken care of but needless to say shes still running strong!

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put like 11k a yearish. If i make it to 290k Ill be very happy. Leaves lots of extra money to put towards all types of other mods

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those STS kits push a lot of air, I have seen them making 6 or 700 horsepower all done up. i would definitely want a LS motor to do that with or else you'll never get anywhere.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But anyways, a the tune is gonna make all the difference. There was that one dude with the gta who built the twin turbo on a junkyard 350 pushing tons of power. I dunno how it has ended, i last read about it well over a year ago. but still pretty impressive.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah im all about keeping my style engine in my truck. they last a long time if you care for them how your supposed to! i check my oil everytime i fill up, its never low but i dont take the chance and if it looks a little low i add it! and of coarse change it ontime, its simple and cheap why not do it right!

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
That is what I am saying. I really like the L31, expecially for the torque, and do not want to waste money on an LS. Becides, all the new trucks seem to be giant polished turds. All I have seen is problems out the ass with them. At least I know all my problems consist of a coolant leak from the intake (can be fixed with the upgraded intake gasket) and a horible matched transmission (soon fixed with an 80-E swap). Isn't that the reason this body style is so famous anyway? A 50 year-old engine and it is easy to work on the whole vehicle.

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with boosting a motor with a few miles. it all depends on what condition it is in, and what your plans are for it. I wouldn't go crazy with the pressure. if the motor is in good shape, well taken care of and such...I wouldn't see a problem with running a little boost on it. I put a blower on mine at 125k mile.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i loved my 07 silverado and never had a problem with it, but as you can see i got rid of it and now own 3 obs trucks...that says somthing right there alone! keep the l31! idk much about boosting gas engines but i think with the compresion ratio these have you would be totally safe with atlest 8psi. im not sure what they can handle but i wouldnt hesitate to run 8psi if i had the money.