Strange Oil issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
I apologize for my earlier posts, I can be a real jerk when I've spent the night drinking with my buddies. the other members posts where disrespectful and condescending, but like hunter said I need to be the one to set a better example instead of feeding into the negativity. I really don't want to get banned from this awesome web site, so I will swallow my pride and be the one to apologize. Let bygones be bygones. :handshake: but back to the OP's topic! :deal:

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
To the guys that are saying they dont use synthetics because of the cost....I find that if you watch the sales, you can pick up a large jug of most synthetic oil at just a few bucks more than conventional....when its on sale.

Also, I still change my oil at regular intervals 3-4,000 miles even when using synthetic oil. Oil gets dirty whether its conventional or synthetic.

Oh, and BTW...I am an old fart, probably quite a bit older than the mouthy arsehole......Just the fact that I can work this computer thingy shows I can keep up with technology......lol

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Oh, and BTW...I am an old fart, probably quite a bit older than the mouthy arsehole......Just the fact that I can work this computer thingy shows I can keep up with technology......lol

Ditto, I'm a half step short of 50 myself I (my age is not correct in the avatar line, I never give my real info out to any online request block).

You keep up with technology or you get left behind....but man, it's gets harder every year to keep up.

:rofl:

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I'll be 52 in April and I like to think I'm keeping up with technology fairly well.
I have a Droid Razr but I use it as a basic phone. I don't use it for the internet because I can barely make out whats on the screen. I have to use 1.5 reading glasses.
Plus I don't want to be one of those people with their face buried in a phone or tablet. I like to see what's going on around me. I guess that's a leftover from my military training.
I do have a stinking fast desktop and a fairly fast laptop that I use all the time.
Mainly because I can see what on the screen.

I forgot to add my oil experience.
I tried Mobil 1 synthetic in my truck and it caused the rear main to start leaking.
I went back to Castrol High Mileage and it stopped leaking.
My truck does have 186,000 on it so that might be why.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Well, this has been entertaining!

I still change my oil at regular intervals 3-4,000 miles even when using synthetic oil. Oil gets dirty whether its conventional or synthetic.

Oh, and BTW...I am an old fart,......Just the fact that I can work this computer thingy shows I can keep up with technology......lol

Lol! I need some reg. glasses to find my reading glasses to find the computer! Before I do that though, gotta find the cane to wander around looking for the first pair. Don't need pants to post though!

I'll be 52 in April and I like to think I'm keeping up with technology fairly well.
I have a Droid Razr but I use it as a basic phone. I don't use it for the internet because I can barely make out whats on the screen. I have to use 1.5 reading glasses.
Plus I don't want to be one of those people with their face buried in a phone or tablet. I like to see what's going on around me. I guess that's a leftover from my military training.
I do have a stinking fast desktop and a fairly fast laptop that I use all the time.
Mainly because I can see what on the screen.

A phone is a phone. A computer is a computer. A camera is a camera.
I'm up to 2.0's!

Everyone uses what they like or can afford. As was stated multiple times, its doing regular maintenance that really matters.

EXACTLY!!! "Regular Maintenance"!!!
I grew up watching my Dad & Uncle maintain 30 of their own fleet vehicles, + the other 125 in the fleet.
Maintenance was drilled into my head from the day I started hanging around there. (Actually I wasn't allowed to 'hang around'. "Here's a wrench. DO something! Wash that cab! Help with that rear end! Put new plugs in that one! If I see you with your mitts in your pockets, you are outa here!")
Regular tune-ups & oil changes kept those vehicles on the road making money!
The ole man used 'Gulfpride' 10w-40. (No longer available.) Bought in 45 gallon drums! Wix filters.
With regular changes, many of those vehicles were in the 600,000-750,000 mile range before it was time for an engine swap. Sure, they were on the third trans, & the second rear end, but still with the original engine!
The argument about those vehicles not being the norm is true. They ran 24/7. Always warm, always running. Cold start-ups is where a lot of wear happens. But, even still, with REGULAR MAINTENANCE there is no reason why a personal vehicle can't reach 1/2 that total mileage that the cabs were reaching.
Want that engine to last? Maintenance is the key, no matter what you pour down it's gullet! Just change that oil. Regularly!
What you use is your personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.