Straight pipe confusion.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Two-stroke engines usually improve power with a "tuned" (resonating) exhaust--they're said to come "on the pipe" the way 4-stroke engines are said to come "on the cam".

If the pipe is tuned properly, the exhaust resonance produces a low-pressure spike at the exhaust port just before the port closes, to draw-in additional fuel/air mixture.

It's the LACK of pressure (vacuum) AT THE RIGHT TIME, caused by the resonance that improves two-stroke power. Which is also why 2-strokes tuned like this tend to be "peaky".
More accurately, you want the negative/vacuum/low pressure pulse from the divergent cone to arrive around BDC where it will pull fresh charge through the cylinder from the crankcase all the way into the exhaust pipe. About a cylinder's volume into the exhaust pipe. Then, just prior to the exhaust port closing, you want a positive pulse from the convergent cone to arrive, drive the cylinder's worth of charge back into the cylinder and prevent any spill from the cylinder as the port fully closes.
If you are really on it, that positive pulse will reflect off of the closing port, traverse the pipe's length and back, and arrive in the exhaust port just before the descending piston opens it. Thus it will reflect again and head off down the pipe - followed very closely by the fresh positive pulse released on opening of the port. The two pulses in effect combine to make a stronger, broader pulse which augments the whole process.

Back pressure - as it exists in the exhaust system - is determined by the stinger's (the short narrow pipe at the end of an expansion chamber) dimensions and creates back pressure in which the aforementioned pulses can travel (sound doesn't travel in a vacuum) effectively. Overdo it though and the build up of temperature at the port will overheat the piston and create mayhem.

The above describes a very highly tuned engine with a single expansion chamber per cylinder. Multi cylinder (in groups of 3 or 4 cylinders) can use 'cross charging' where the required positive 'back pressure' pulse is supplied from the next cylinder in the group to fire opening its exhaust port and its pulse finding its way to the exhaust port where it is needed to 'seal' the closing port. More to prevent charge spillage that cramming charge in the exhaust pipe back into the cylinder as if there is a negative pulse at BDC, it will not be of the strength of that in an expansion chamber to have drawn charge into the pipe. These are 'compact branch manifold' engines - find them in outboards - as the length of the individual branches determine the timing of pulse delivery to an exhaust port. Short for groups of 3 (and more consistent over the entire rev range - not peaky), longer for groups of 4 cylinders as befits the different (120deg vs 90deg) firing intervals of the two types.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Two-stroke engines usually improve power with a "tuned" (resonating) exhaust--they're said to come "on the pipe" the way 4-stroke engines are said to come "on the cam".

If the pipe is tuned properly, the exhaust resonance produces a low-pressure spike at the exhaust port just before the port closes, to draw-in additional fuel/air mixture.

It's the LACK of pressure (vacuum) AT THE RIGHT TIME, caused by the resonance that improves two-stroke power. Which is also why 2-strokes tuned like this tend to be "peaky".

I've heard multiple variations of that story--you say lipstick, other guys use tire crayon, some folks actually use a fancy temperature-indicating marker.

Point is, temperature is not what makes a tuned exhaust. Resonance is, so the mathematics of the speed of sound is involved, which varies with temperature, humidity, and other factors including whether you're tuning for the first peak, second peak, third peak, etc.

I just love a flatty with a visible fin. You've just made me moist. I don't expect my '73 Sanger bubbledeck ski-boat does that often...if at all. And certainly not for the last few years--hasn't been on the water in near a decade.

Thank you for the kind words. not many boat people around, sangers are sweet boats! Mine is a Cole Tr-2.

Im a third generation boat racer, 2gen flat bottom racer. My grandpa raced an Alison with an outboard, my dad raced flats. I haven’t raced mine since 2012. It got real expensive(thousands a race weekend) and I couldn’t afford it anymore since I was starting a family etc so i sold the race hauler and kept the boat. It sits in the garage, a giant engine stand pretty much.

It flys the nose real high, I knew a Top Alcohol Flatbottom team and they set the boat up. It was a blast.