Straight axle swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logant12

Reaction score
So I got a 92 and 97 k1500 both of them in wanting to put 3-5" of lift on without buying and expensive lift. so I've been thinking of taking a 80's chevy front axle and taking the torsion bar setup out and going with bigger coil springs, is such a thing possible without transfer case and 4wd issues. I would think the steering would be easy , it's just the 4wd that stumps me

Logant12

Reaction score
Shoot, so what would other options be for a front coil lift that don't break the bank

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Honestly, if you are going to SAS, trying to go cheap is going to run you into problems. Dodge axles drop on the correct side, but they have their issues too (CAD, short axle too short to use leaf springs) A Dana HP44 seems to be the axle of choice for most people, but they are a little hard to find. If you are going to run colis, a triangulated 4 link setup is the easy/cheap way out, that being said, there is not going to be much thats cheap or easy about it in general. Leaf spring kits are much cheaper and work fine for most folks. The bracket kits are not expensive, and you can run the rear springs out of a 80s 1/2 ton on your front.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You aren't goIng to get 3 to 5" lift out of a SAS

Logant12

Reaction score
Hmmm I'll keep thinking of my options thanks for the input

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Best option for you Imo is a body lift

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Well if you wanted to take the front end out of an 80s Chevy you would need to take the tcase as well. As long as it's a 700r4 the tcase should bolt right up to your 4l60 since they are practically the same trans. Then your drop will line up on the passenger side just like the axle. But that still leaves you with the wiring. Plenty of write ups on line to look at.

But as said before cheap and sas don't exist. Lol ask me how I know