Stock Vehicle Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seanb98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to be "that guy" since there is no sticky that appears to apply or recent threads...

Anyway, I acquired my 98 k1500 burb last summer. Little backstory there, but essentially no useable known history on the vehicle. Runs great, typical oil seepages and whatnot here and there. Picked it up around 160k miles and currently around 165k miles.

So maintenance and I'm not talking regular oil changes, what do you guys do to keep these things running like a top?

At this point I've done oil and filter change (obviously). Transmission fluid drain and refill with new gasket and filter. Front and rear diff drain and refill, new gasket and limited slip additive in rear. Transfer case drain and refill. radiator flush 6x over or more since somebody at some point mixed regular green with the dexcool and it was nasty in there - new thermostat as well. Radiator hoses looked good. No noticeable cracks in fan belt either so it has been replaced recently. Checked brakes, checked u-joints, flushed brake fluid, flushed power steering fluid. New AC Delco plugs, and cap, rotor, and wires.

Tires decent for a bit longer, but are C rated 6 ply which sucks towing heavy. Wired in a 7 pin rv plug, weather tech floor mats in the front, and an ultimat dash carpet cover since dash is minorly cracked. And that's just about it.

What else should I do to it to get the most out of it? I fully expect a trans rebuild in the future because of the miles. Possibly rear diff rebuild and motor rebuild even further down the line but hopefully not until the 250k mark or greater.

Valve adjustment? Or leave that alone? Ignition switch is a pain, but is it going to become a real concern later on? Currently takes wiggling the key significantly initially to get it to go, then I can be cruising 75mph and pull the key out. Tumblers are obviously worn out, but if it doesn't typically progress to the point it won't even turn at all then I won't worry.

And that's it for now...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only thing I'd be worried about is the ignition issue. I'm pretty sure that will just get worse from here on out.

Being a '98 you have the first year of GM's PassLock anti-theft system, so I wouldn't take a chance on it leaving you stranded eventually for something like that which could've been prevented. Don't those have a resistor in the key that has to be read for the truck to start? That's how it is on my '04 Impala anyway... Kind of surprised it stayed running when you pulled the key out on the highway.

seanb98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing I'd be worried about is the ignition issue. I'm pretty sure that will just get worse from here on out.

Being a '98 you have the first year of GM's PassLock anti-theft system, so I wouldn't take a chance on it leaving you stranded eventually for something like that which could've been prevented. Don't those have a resistor in the key that has to be read for the truck to start? That's how it is on my '04 Impala anyway... Kind of surprised it stayed running when you pulled the key out on the highway.
I don't know about the ignition thing. I don't have any original keys for it, and the copies that I do have are plain metal keys, definitely no chip of any type in the key.

How hard is it to replace the ignition assembly on these rigs?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that I think about it I think I've seen someone else here say the same thing regarding the keys... It's probably done in some other way on these trucks.

Seen people post about replacing the cylinder as well, but I've never done it personally.

@someotherguy might be able to shed some light, pretty sure I've seen him share info on replacing ignition parts a few times.

seanb98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to look into that distributor gear thing.

For the ignition, I wonder about keeping the key the same or I guess it would possibly need a new key and just use the old one for the doors? I can't imagine that it would be horrible to replace, I did it on my sisters 78 GMC a couple years ago.

Guess I'll do some research on prices.