Stock Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unklemikey28

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Chevy K1500 CCSB that is cranked up about 2" with the torsion bar along with 33" M/Ts. My truck rides way more rough now and I was wondering what I could do to smoothen my ride back out. I'm not very knowledgeable about whether my truck has springs on shocks or coil over shocks in the front and I'm also wondering if I can get a longer shock to go in the front to replace the stock one.

Any feedback will be great!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From my experience, the 2" crank on the torsion bars is probably what's killing your ride quality. If you need the extra clearance for your tires maybe consider a different means of lift that would allow you to de-crank a little.

There are options for longer shocks but it's not going to help you any with your current setup.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Cranked torsion bars kill ride quality. You have torsion bar front suspension. Torsion bars and shocks. No springs. The torsion bars are the "springs" and when you crank them you are basically compressing the spring so there is much less "room" for it to move while driving. Shocks wont help your situation. To preserve ride quality you will need to de-crank and find another method to lift. There are many informative threads in this section.

unklemikey28

Reaction score
So what would be the best way to lift the front of my truck to where it's leveled front to back and have great ride quality in the front again?

Also why wouldn't longer shocks or shock extenders work for me?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also why wouldn't longer shocks or shock extenders work for me?

You just don't need them. Two inches of lift or less is not enough to justify longer shocks. Not going to help your ride quality anyway, as mentioned the cranked torsion bars are your issue.

If I were you I'd just de-crank them about an inch and see if it helps. I'm sure your wheels and tires will still clear.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One other side note...

Any time you mess with your torsion bars you're going to need an alignment. No big deal, just be prepared for that so you don't chew up your tires after you de-crank.