Still undecided about a cam for my 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock LSA is around 115-116, I forget where they're installed stock but likely not far from there. Can you even get a timing set to advance it that far?

Depending on the year of LT1 the cam could be a 115, 116 or 117 LSA in an aluminum head engine. The cast iron head versions use the milder 111 LSA vortec grind straight up. I could see using the b/d car cam advanced to 106 but not the F/Y car version. The Vortec truck cam is not worth the gaskets to install it. It is smaller in duration than the TBI cam.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on the year of LT1 the cam could be a 115, 116 or 117 LSA in an aluminum head engine. The cast iron head versions use the milder 111 LSA vortec grind straight up. I could see using the b/d car cam advanced to 106 but not the F/Y car version. The Vortec truck cam is not worth the gaskets to install it. It is smaller in duration than the TBI cam.

This was my thought too. I believe you've run F/Y car LT1 cams advanced 4 degrees but haven't been cams advanced much beyond that myself.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lt4 is usually 110 so it has the bottom end pull with the much larger heads and intake. No two timing sets will degree the same.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would put a vortec truck cam over tbi any day. They are way better response and make more hp on dyno not to mention they dont go flat or kill lifters due to crap oil like tbi. The roller lifters is where the hp, durabilty and the faster responce comes from

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So a lt1 starts to get into its power at 3000-3200 and getting it close to 106 drops that range down around 2200 and works good with the vortec head. I used a stock timing set and drilled out to use offset degree bushings. I had it in my 68c10, lt1 pistons, crank, rods and cam in 91 block and vortec heads. Had pro jection for few years then went to a 830hp holley. Made over 420hp on engine dyno

Plus almost no tuning.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
In an LT1 engine, the cam is never not on. The blue line is the last time I did an unrestricted pull, the other 2 are me getting down to 260whp with restrictor plates in my Camaro.

You must be registered for see images attach

I could see a different intake maybe giving more torque in the 3000-4000 range. Since adding additional crankcase breathing I've had to further restrict. It's closer to 299 now.

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but if you are going to the trouble of swapping cams, I'd start with something like a ZZ4 takeout cam. Just watch the lift, guide clearance, and use the proper springs. The LT1 cam I used (from a 95 F body) was an improvement, but a few months later I wanted more. My current engine is a carbed ZZ4 with the LT1 hotcam. It's starting to become a mismatched combo, but still does fine in my light RCSB. The ZZ4 cam will make more torque, and have better top end, and is still computer friendly with a little tuning.