still getting from end play after all new parts were installed??? any ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
believe it or not i took the 20s off and replaced with 16s and 35s and it rides and drives like a dream.. im assuming it was the low pros and the off set of the wheels causing my problems.. ill never run a 20in wheel on a lifted truck again, its night and day difference in the ride and handle. Plus the fabtech already made the wheels stick out like crazy anyway so it looked weird from some views..

NOW i need some 35 or 36 in tires for 16 that are in better shape then what i had setting around if anyone knows of any or a cheap place to buy them.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A friend had the exact same problems with 33's on some newer GM 20's on his 99 truck. Found it was all over the road, tried having it alligned, still handled bad with the 20's, back to 16" wheels and no problem.

chevyguy28

Reaction score
Don't mean to thread jack but how do you tighten up the gearbox, have a little slop in mine.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Loosen the jam nut on the top side of the steering box and tighten the adjusting screw (should take an allen head wrench). Go a little bit at a time and then tighten the jam nut.

jrp12357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to thread jack, but came upon it. I recently had new tires done, ball joints done, pitman, idler arm and bracket. I have about 2 inches of play in my wheel til i can turn left or right. Its scary sometime when i drive, bc going down bumpy roady at 50 mph and when i am loose in wheel and hit a bump, my truck kinda steers itself. Its hard to expalin. should i check my Steering box and shaft as well?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Don't mean to thread jack but how do you tighten up the gearbox, have a little slop in mine.

Due to the gears wearing most in the straight-line position(versus wheeels turned left or right), you should follow these steps:

Make sure to hold the adjusting screw in the center with the allen head while loosening the jam nut, this is so you won't lose the position you're adjusting from. When the jam nut is 3-4 rotations loose, crank the vehicle and turn the adjusting screw 1/4 turn to the right, then turn your wheel from lock-left to lock-right back to lock-left then to center checking for hardness in steering, the reason being that adjusting while centered can cause the gears in the box to bind when turned if not checked each time it's adjusted. 1/4 turns of the adjusting screw are actually moving the adjustments a decent bit, so keep adjusting in 1/4 increments until you feel a bind or rough spot while turning lock to lock, or you notice the lock isn't going as far as before. When you feel the bind/rough spot, back off the adjuster 1/8 turn and test to see if it goes away, if it's all clear, hold the adjuster in that exact position and lock down the jam nut. If there's still some rough spots or binding, back off another 1/8 turn(this should then clear it, if not, you didn't check for binding/rough spots on the last 1/4 turn adjustment made).

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Very good write up man. I just recently replaced all 4 ball joints idlers ARM and pitman ARM, 4 new stock tires and had an alignment done today she tracks straight and all but way to much play in the wheel. The guy at the shop said gear box had slack so i planned on adjusting it tomorrow and this write up is going to save me so much of a headache

cstiles90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my steering wheel is loose also.its my gear boxi believe.i turned my key over to where the steering wheel is unlocked.truck not running.and the steering wheel is loose.then i went under the hood and i can move the steering shaft back &forth quite a bit.i do believe its the box ..not to worried about it but i will eventually fix it.used to have a 88 in the family and it was like that long as i can remember

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have about an inch of play in my steering. Was gunna try to adjust my steering gearbox. Where is the steering gearbox located? Is it at the bottom of the steering shaft?