still getting from end play after all new parts were installed??? any ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was just told about this site from some one on gmfullsize.com and so far i like it.. just looking for a little help.. i have a 96 ext cab gmc sierra on a 6in fabtech lift with 20x12 deep dish wheels.. i just replaced my entire front end with MOOG parts (tie rods, pitman, ball joints ect).... went and got an alignment and after i picked it up i expected it to be like new and tight again but it wasnt, i still had play in the steering wheel and its still all over the road a little bit.. im not sure if its because the tires stick out really far and just drift down the road different or what.. just not to pleased after spending about 800 on the front end, expected more..

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your steering box and steering shaft for play/leakeage.

ill try that tomorrow.. any key areas that usually go bad? if the box is leaking can it be repaired or will i need a new one? im not familiar with them, never messed with it..

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Theres overhaul kits for the steering box, but you can do it just by pulling it apart and changing a few seals and O-rings. Just check for worn out parts and damage. The shaft is even easier, open hood, grab your shaft (huh huh huh) and twist to see if there is any play.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okay i checked the steering box and it looks like it may have a little leaking, i see where it has dripped down on the groves of the arm where it enters the box and i also checked the shaft and im pretty sure thats where most of my problem is.. the steering shaft has about a 1/8 in of play in it.. Ive never messed with steering shafts before so can i just replace the shaft from the engine compartment or will i need to pull steering column or? any input is appreciated, and is there a better shaft i could use or should i find a new factory somewhere? thanks

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes you can change just the shaft inside the engine bay, it unbolts from the coloum and the box, a 2 piece slip shaft. Where is the play at? You can replace just the rag joint at the bottom of the shaft for next to nothing.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Rag joint, play in the gear box, unevenly worn tires.

I had the same thing man, I took my truck in not to long ago for a MOOG Pitman, and Idler arm and alignment, when I picked it up I expected it to be tighter than the Queen of England's..... fist. Well it wasn't, and it pulled to the right so bad, I was so pissed. The icing on that cake was, when I went to turn in my drive way, the steering was so hard I couldn't turn the wheel, like the gear box seized or something, so I had to pull it so hard to get an inch of turning radius. I stopped the truck, called that shop up and told him what happened, and he agreed to come out the next morning to see what was up. The next morning it worked just fine, so he came and inspected it anyways and found NOTHING.

It still pulled to the right until one day I noticed a big bulge in my FR tire and replaced both fronts, now it goes so straight and turns like a champ. There will always be a TINY bit of slop in these 88-98 gear boxes man, it's bound to happen, so if you are driving a new vehicle a lot then jump in your truck, you need to expect that.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i know it wont be perfect but i do alot of highway driving and it sucks darting back and fourth at 70mph in my lane.. i know the lift 95 i just picked up i can take off in it and drive 100mph if i wanted and it will stay stright as an arrow and drive perfect and you look under it and you can tell its been used like a truck should and has a few warn front end parts.. where as the 96 has a brand new lift, and steering parts, tires, ect.. and its everywhere. so i guess my next thing is to find a steering shaft and rag joint and hope that fixes it.. if i didnt use it to tow construction trailers at high speeds i wouldnt care.. just really afraid somthing may catch me off guard one and and end up wrecking..