still getting from end play after all new parts were installed??? any ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
can a rag joint be picked up at like advanced auto? any special puller tools to remove or anything.. like i said when it comes to messing with a shaft i have no knowledge, ive never had to do it..

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all ill look up a how to on repairing the steering box, ill do both prolly today or tomorrow if i can find parts

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
yeah i know it wont be perfect but i do alot of highway driving and it sucks darting back and fourth at 70mph in my lane.. i know the lift 95 i just picked up i can take off in it and drive 100mph if i wanted and it will stay stright as an arrow and drive perfect and you look under it and you can tell its been used like a truck should and has a few warn front end parts.. where as the 96 has a brand new lift, and steering parts, tires, ect.. and its everywhere. so i guess my next thing is to find a steering shaft and rag joint and hope that fixes it.. if i didnt use it to tow construction trailers at high speeds i wouldnt care.. just really afraid somthing may catch me off guard one and and end up wrecking..

ALL new steering parts, even stabilizer links? they make a hell of a difference on the highway.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ALL new steering parts, even stabilizer links? they make a hell of a difference on the highway.

naw all that was replaced were ball joints, tie rods, pitman, idler, new 5100 shocks, fabtech lift.. and i bought a sky jacker steering stablizer from a buddy that was brand new in the box but i have to fab up a mounting bracket to work with the fabtech lift

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
can a rag joint be picked up at like advanced auto? any special puller tools to remove or anything.. like i said when it comes to messing with a shaft i have no knowledge, ive never had to do it..
Yes you should be able to find the rag joint at most parts stores in the 'Dorman' parts area, should be part no 31002. There is no special tools needed other then a drill. To change the rag joint all you need to do is unbolt the shaft from the steering box, slide it up till it clears the box and then pull the bottom half of shaft out to work on it. http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-23846-31002.aspx

Did you try adjusting the steering box? You can tighten them up somewhat. Also inspected the wheel bearings? Everything still tight after the lift? Possibly try another allignment shop to double check it.

I had a friend who had a fabtech lift on a 92 with 15x10 wheels and 35" all terrains, he never got much driving done with it before selling but dont ever remember him saying it handled bad or different from the extra width.

Last edited:

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

By stabilizer links do you mean sway bar links? From my experience they made little difference is straight line driving. I havent had a swaybar under my truck for over a year, with no slop in the steering.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes you should be able to find the rag joint at most parts stores in the 'Dorman' parts area, should be part no 31002. There is no special tools needed other then a drill. To change the rag joint all you need to do is unbolt the shaft from the steering box, slide it up till it clears the box and then pull the bottom half of shaft out to work on it. http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-23846-31002.aspx

Did you try adjusting the steering box? You can tighten them up somewhat. Also inspected the wheel bearings? Everything still tight after the lift? Possibly try another allignment shop to double check it.

I had a friend who had a fabtech lift on a 92 with 15x10 wheels and 35" all terrains, he never got much driving done with it before selling but dont ever remember him saying it handled bad or different from the extra width.

thanks man, very helpful.. naw i have not tried to tighten the steering box i guess i could give the rag joint and tighten up the box a try first..

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
By stabilizer links do you mean sway bar links? From my experience they made little difference is straight line driving. I havent had a swaybar under my truck for over a year, with no slop in the steering.

Yes, they are the same thing - I had one break going down my buddies extremely rough dirt road, and I didn't even know it was gone, but a week or so later, I was driving down US31 here and my truck kept swaying on the road, I looked at tree tops and they weren't even moving, so it wasn't the wind.

Put 2 new MOOG links in, and it doesn't do that. Your steering wont be sloppy, but your truck will sway a bit.