Stereo system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I can't believe that there isn't a dedicated thread for stereo systems. I just got through installing everything in my 97 extended cab. When I first got the truck about a year ago, I put some el cheapo Scosche speakers in to replace the busted factory units. Soon after that, I installed a Kenwood head unit. That was okay for a while, but it wasn't enough. I first thought I just needed a little more bass, so I thought a powered sub would be the answer. While I was waiting for that to arrive, I thought I'd go on and upgrade the door speakers with some decent components. You know the rest, an amp and rear speakers were needed also before I started installing the stuff.

As a "mature gentleman", I didn't need enough volume or power to wake the neighbors. I just wanted an improvement in quality, and enough power to properly drive the speakers at a reasonable volume. The same goes with the need for a subwoofer. I got a Clarion XC1410 amp which is small and doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles. It puts out 200 amps (4 x 50) with 4 ohm speakers. That and the Sound Ordinance B-8PTD subwoofer make a nice setup and fit nicely under the rear seat.
You must be registered for see images attach

The rears are Polk plate speakers. I had to do a little trimming on the openings to fit them and had to space the right one out just a tad. They do mount well after that and sound much better than the 4x6 coax speakers that came out.

On the fronts, I never liked the location on the factory tweeters. They were too low and were aimed at the bottom of the dash. I used some black pvc plumbing connectors and made some mounts for the tweeters that came with the Kenwood components. I cut them down and then trimmed them to fit the contour of the door panel. I think they look pretty good.

The sound is much improved. Changing the tweeter location is a major help. All of the components result in a good balanced sound with really nice separation. It isn't an expensive setup since I wasn't going for extreme volume.