Steering Won't Return to Center

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, everyone...my first thread. Huh.

Anyway, I've got a steering problem that I've noticed over the last week or so. My steering doesn't automatically try to center itself anymore when coming out of a turn. There was a mild creak in the front end that began a few days before this happened and I haven't had a chance to grease up the front end due to weather. I'm hoping, in a best case scenario, that grease may help (from other sources I've seen) because the ball joints might be gunked up. What's the worst case scenario...power steering pump, ball joint replacement?

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought I put truck info in my sig. It's a '99 GMC K1500 all stock running 285/75R16s.

Edit - Oh...NOW is shows up in my sig. smh

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How's the pitman arm look? I tweaked mine a few years ago and it caused some steering bind up.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
It could be time for new tie rod ends, idler arm & bracket, pitman arm. Those things can cause binding when they wear out or are not greased.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to look under the truck and it looks like the summer was hell on the steering. Looks like every boot is shot from ball joints to tie rods. I think I'm going to save up and just replace everything in one shot. Quick question, though: Is there any reason to replace the center link if it's not wallowed out or bent? It looks okay, but I've never pulled steering components apart before and I don't want to be needing something in the middle of the process when it would've been better to get in the first place.