Steering wheel question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel Varner

Reaction score
I have been thinking bout putting an after market steering wheel in my 98 z71. I did this years ago on a 99 s10 I had and was able to use an install kit for a square body and it worked fine. My question is will an install kit for an 88-94 work on my 98.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It will fit the splines but depending on the kit you may have problems with the lip around the clamshell plastics for the 95-up column, and have to trim that lip off, possibly exposing the guts inside which won't be attractive.

Also depending on dish of the steering wheel (typical aftermarket has little to none) and depth of the adapter kit, you'll find yourself smacking the turn signal lever as you turn the wheel. The factory wheel avoids this by size (16" or so, where most aftermarkets are closer to 14") and a whole lot of dish since it's housing the airbag, etc.

Richard

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
@someotherguy is right, you will have trim the lip on the plastic pieces. I did this to my truck when I went to aftermarket and it works fine. Didn't show much of the inside at all actually, didn't really see anything. I am going to put a new pair of clamshell plastics on my truck since I ditched the aftermarket route. Love the original non-airbag wheel better.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Adding to the information above, Grant makes an adapter for the 95+ trucks. Its states for the 95+ without airbags, the splines are the same for nonairbag and airbag 95+ trucks and suv's.

The only two companies that makes adapters (that i've been able to find proof of 95+ applications) is Billet Specialties and Grant. I'm currently using the grant kit in my truck and there are members on here that are using the Billet Specialties kits. Both are 5 bolt kits.

Here is Grant's part number for their steering wheel kit. 5167-1 (or 5167 depending where you look) it can be bought anywhere on the internet for under $75 shipped. Most places charge around 50-60 for it before shipping, some have free shipping if you buy other tings with it but we all know that trap :hahano: