steering upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Mills

Reaction score
hey all, this is my first post so bear with me.
I have a 97 Tahoe 4x4 with 188,000 i've had it for 3 years never any trouble at all
its a little loose on the hwy at 85 MPH, so i'm thinking of changing the front end steering parts
(old aftermarket/ stock?)
tie rods, sleeves, idler, pitman, ect. I guess i'm looking for a good upgrade (brand?)
I do everything with this truck. daily driver, mild off road, tow my Chevelle and my wife's Monte
to the track, so I want to get the best for my money.
thanks!

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
The front steering and suspension components will help, but the main issue with loose steering on these trucks is the rag-joint in the steering shaft get's worn out. If you can't even keep the truck straight though, that is a pretty good indicator that your pitman arm and idler arm are worn out. Check the stickies on this sub-forum, XJ steering shaft upgrade.

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everyone usually goes for moog brand. Expensive at local stores but decent prices at rockauto and our forum 5% off