Steering slack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a 97 k1500. A few months ago I got 2 tie rod ends replaced 4 ball joints a Pittman and a idler arm by my shade tree mechanic. Made a huge difference but still had a noticeable amount of slack. I then took it to my professional mechanic to align it which he was able to. My shade tree said it was bc i needed a new steering box but my professional said I needed a new steering coupler. I have no clue what or where the coupler is. All I know is that I have almost zero slack from the steering wheel to the box but below the box I have slacK. What are y’all opinions???

Mr_white_obs

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, "steering coupler" refers to the part (typically on rack and pinion setups) that connects the steering column to the wheels. So in this case, the steering coupler and the steering box would be the same thing. (someone please correct me if i'm wrong) There is a way to adjust these boxes as a sort of "band-aid" solution. It isn't the best, and is pretty easy to mess up your box if it is adjusted too much. If there is too much play in the gears, it would be a good idea to replace anyway.

see this thread for a little more info on this:
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-adjust-the-steering-box.1599/page-2

Steering shafts are pretty common for these trucks, so if you definitely have no play there, and all the other parts have been replaced, there's a good chance the play is coming from the box.

I don't believe it is possible to completely eliminate the center play without going to a completely alternate steering system. The boxes on these are not the best design. However, if the box is worn, it may be excessive.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a 97 k1500. A few months ago I got 2 tie rod ends replaced 4 ball joints a Pittman and a idler arm by my shade tree mechanic. Made a huge difference but still had a noticeable amount of slack. I then took it to my professional mechanic to align it which he was able to. My shade tree said it was bc i needed a new steering box but my professional said I needed a new steering coupler. I have no clue what or where the coupler is. All I know is that I have almost zero slack from the steering wheel to the box but below the box I have slacK. What are y’all opinions???

Steering coupler is generally referred to as the rag joint. Located on the steering wheel shaft just before the steering gear box. On our trucks it is covered by a plastic shield that needs to be slid up the steering shaft to expose the rag joint.

I've seen rag joints with a bizillion miles on them that are just fine, others need replacing sooner.

With the truck on the ground, key on, engine off have somebody move the steering wheel back and forth while you're underneath looking at the pitman arm. It should move with the steering gear. Then try it with the engine running.

I would have replaced all four tie rod ends, and idler arm brackets also wear out after 2-3 idler arms have been replaced.

Most likely it's the steering gear, but a worn rag joint could also be a contributor. Cheap auto parts store gears don't work from the get-go or only stay tight for a short time. A good steering gear box ain't cheap--brace yourself.........

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator can move this to the suspension/steering section instead of "Engine performance and maintenance".

IF (big IF) you don't have slack from steering wheel to box, but below the box you have slack, the rag joint isn't the problem. HOWEVER, I don't believe you. Maybe I'm arrogant.

Rag joint problems are epidemic on these trucks. Recheck the steering coupler/rag joint. Have a helper turn the steering wheel a few inches either direction, while you watch the rag joint. Probably have to remove the plastic shield over it to see the thing properly. If it's flexing instead of turning the input to the steering gear...there's at least part of your problem. Mine winds-up until the metal pieces catch each other--they're a kind of safety-system so that the truck will still steer when the rag joint gets sloppy.

I am in the process of eliminating the rag joint on my '88 by using a shaft that has a metal U-joint instead of the fabric/rubber "rag" joint. The shaft is specified for a C3500, they don't have air-bags.

Downside with the final few years of the GMT400--which seems to be related to air-bag use--is that the typical replacement shafts like I'm going to install, won't work on the 1995-newer steering column.

Yes, the steering box has adjustments. The only one folks ever screw with is the SECOND adjustment that needs to be performed, and if the other adjustment isn't correct, you can tighten the second one 'til the cows come home and you'll still have sloppy steering.

I presume that the remaining two tie rod ends are still decently tight, as are the wheel bearings.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found the rag joint it is where my slack is at. I slid the cover back spun the shaft and it had bout a quarter turn slack in it from the shaft to the joint. Is this a hard job or should I get my mechanic to do it. I’m fairly mechanically inclined

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you google the flaming river U joint mod, it is a universal that replaces the rag joint with very little modification. Worked great on mine and did take some of the slop out.

My experience has been that most of these trucks have a little bit of wear and slop in almost everything by now. None of the individual updates I've done were complete game changers, but each one makes it a little bit better.