Steering is overboosted...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rageman

Reaction score
I have a 1988 C1500 that steers WAY too easy. So easy, in fact, that if I'm on a freeway, any minor movement of the steering wheel could be my last.

The problem started around the time I replaced the gear box, so I assume that's my problem, but is there a way to adjust that box? Or can this problem be related to something else?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Are we talking about an actual 1988 model or is that a typo for 1998?

Sent from my Nintendo 64

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If it's an '88, I don't believe it'll have an EVO, but I could be wrong. Not sure about the early models. Someone will know.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
If it's an '88, I don't believe it'll have an EVO, but I could be wrong. Not sure about the early models. Someone will know.

EVO started in 97 I believe. If that wasn't a typo, then I would suspect the gearbox. You get it from an auto parts store?

Sent from my Nintendo 64

Rageman

Reaction score
No typo. It's an '88 Model. I also suspect the gearbox, since the problem didn't start until it was replaced, however, I was hoping there was some sort of adjustment for this.

InsanePyro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same issue. When I took my suburban to the trans shop the guy put in one he had because mine was pissing all over the place. Steering has been super loose ever since.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
No typo. It's an '88 Model. I also suspect the gearbox, since the problem didn't start until it was replaced, however, I was hoping there was some sort of adjustment for this.

A quick google search brought up this: http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/steering_box_adjust.html

It's not 100% accurate for these trucks but it will do. I only suggest adjusting the gear mesh, IIRC the locknut is 9/16" and the Allen set screw is 5/16"... If that doesn't help, take the box back to the parts house you bought it from, demand your money back, and give these guys a call:

www.redheadsteeringgears.com

Sent from my Nintendo 64