steering gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
was going around turn and my steering went out, looked under and the seal between pitman arm and gear box had popped out
had just done the both 2 months ago, so went and got replacement, looked at new one and seal seemed like it was out a little, I pushed it back in, haven't put part in yet though, not sure if I should go get another one, if that's normal, or is this one gonna blowout too
has warrenty, can take back new one and original and get money back, was from advance, napa or autozone make better gearbox's? it was the cheaper of the 2 they have there

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
If you replaced the box, then the seal should be in tight. Make sure the snap ring is seated in the groove evenly all around. Rust build up is one of the major causes of that seal and everything to blow out. But seeing as it was a recent replacement, that shouldn't have happened.

Wcgren20

Reaction score
I have to replace my steering gear soon, according to an alignment shop that advised me to get that fixed pre-alignment. They quoted the job (steering gear, installation, and alignment) at around $400. I'm thinking about trying pull apart and installing myself. Or rebuild kit? Anyone have some advice?

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeh got replacement put in, steers fine, but the new pump is squeeling already, thinking of buying one somewhere else and getting my money back
if you have to do steering gear, just do your pitman arm at the same time, then you just have to disconnect lines, remove cotter pine and bolt where pitman arm connects to relayrod, remove the 3 bolts hold steering gear, and pull it, put new pitman arm on new gear in same place and drop in, shouldn't take long
not sure about anyone else, but I couldn't get pitman arm out with out steering gear anyway, its a pressed fit, and no room to break it loose, so if its out, might aswell do it

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I have to replace my steering gear soon, according to an alignment shop that advised me to get that fixed pre-alignment. They quoted the job (steering gear, installation, and alignment) at around $400. I'm thinking about trying pull apart and installing myself. Or rebuild kit? Anyone have some advice?

Gear boxes out of junkyards are always sketchy at best. And unless you have experiance, I wouldn't attempt to rebuild one. I have tried and failed. Best bet is a reman for a good parts store.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
easy job, hardest part I thought was trying to get bolts thru wheel well to line up, I just dropped it in with pitman arm, and put the bolt on pitman arm thru relayrod, put the nut on finger tight so it wouldn't come off, then you kinda have to lift up on box, and try and get bolts started

Wcgren20

Reaction score
Good information, I already replaced my power steering pump a few thousand miles ago myself, so ill look into just replacing the rest of the major front end parts. It's a 94 and I've had it for about a year now. Are most of the steering components the same for 96 and up? Thanks for all the help everybody.