Steering gear pitman seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The mess is no big deal, my name is Jesse, they call me messy Jesse for a reason. I gotta see how the seals go back, with wording like, the side with the indent goes "x". i guess at a minimum I could put the pitman nut and a washer back on and it would tell the whole 9 yards.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The only ones that need to be oriented in a specific direction are the 2 seals. The open side goes on the inboard side of the pump, facing the positive pressure inside the housing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Open side opposite of the pitman arm on both seals? I struggle with this stuff yet I am a software developer that grew up in a autobody shop. Thanks for all the help, btw, I hope all the questions help people in the future.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Open side opposite of the pitman arm on both seals? I struggle with this stuff yet I am a software developer that grew up in a autobody shop. Thanks for all the help, btw, I hope all the questions help people in the future.
Both seals have the open seal in meaning that the closed, smooth-face should be facing you when inserted. The pressure should act on the open side and expand it against the housing and shaft, thus creating the seal. Same principal as the main seal on the crank.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Can we get it on record it the thick seal is 1st or 2nd on reinstallation?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I would wonder, if you had grooves in your shaft, if you could reverse the seals to get around those leaks?

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would wonder, if you had grooves in your shaft, if you could reverse the seals to get around those leaks?
If you have grooves in your shaft, you'd have to pull the box and replace the pitman shaft. Regardless of orientation of the seals, they only work on smooth surfaces.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I meant if you changed the seals orientation instead of riding in a groove they would be riding on a smooth place, since they both would then be riding in a new position.