Starting problems / gas fumes (1993 TBI)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlushFund

Reaction score
Sounds like I may need to check /replace the ignition pickup..

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

retorq

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like it could have been vapor lock. Same thing happened on my 95 a while back. Let the truck sit, tried staring when it cooled off, started right up and ran fine.

SlushFund

Reaction score
Sounds like it could have been vapor lock. Same thing happened on my 95 a while back. Let the truck sit, tried staring when it cooled off, started right up and ran fine.
OK, thanks. I had read that somewhere, but could not find the link. After I was able to finally put gas in the tank, I heard a loud click near the tank.. Sounded like a valve. Then it would not start for about 5 minutes.

Reaction score
The vent valve is located near the gas tank or by the evaporated canister. In regards to the no start it could be two things. One is if the coolant temperature sensor is no good it will cause the truck to run rich and give a start/die or extended crank to start. The other thing that would cause it not to start is if the oil pressure sensor is no good because on the TBI fuel injected vehicles the fuel pump feed circuit passes through the oil pressure sensor. Go to advance auto parts and pick up a Hanes repair manual it will help with trouble shooting the electrical end.

SlushFund

Reaction score
I just ordered a manual. I don't think it's the temp sensor, it's only a few years old. Note that when I say it would not start, the engine wouldn't even turnover. Again, this happened (first time) immediately after fixing the the gas tank problem (not taking more than a gallon of fuel). So I don't think it's related to the icm either (icm is about 3 months old). Thanks for all the replies.

SlushFund

Reaction score
I'll look into the oil pressure sensor too

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may be unrelated, but my `94 Vortec would act like that in hot weather (90`s +) with low octane e-10 fuel. One time in AZ. I bought low octane e-10 in Flagstaff, (at high elevation) and drove down to Phoenix (112 f). Shut the truck off and it would not start. I had to let it cool off for some time before it finally cranked up. I topped it off with premium and didn`t have any more problems. Ever since I ran premium in the 90`s and I didn`t have any problems.

SlushFund

Reaction score
Well, just to update the thread. I believe I've narrowed it down to the starter.
It's hard to believe that the first time the starter locked up was immediately after correcting the whatever caused the gas tank not to take fuel (still don't know what happened or how I resolved that). The starter has since bound up twice. Lightly tapping with a hammer got it to turn over. Just picked up a new starter.

The day the gas tank would not tank fuel, I had driven a few hundred miles and ascended (and descended) several thousand feet. Maybe that caused an issue?
Apart from the elevation change, I have read that gas can come with additives in regions with high elevation, and can potentially cause such problems.. Any truth to that?