Squeaky Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When its cold my truck squeaks under the hood... the belt or pulley or something, until it warms up. Any idea on what that could be?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good start would be the belt tensioner and idler pulleys. Get a can of brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner with a straw on it and squirt it on the bearing at the center of the pulley. If your squeak vanishes instantly, you have found your culprit. If it isn't either of those, then the alternator, PS pump, water pump, and AC compressor are also possibilities. The bearings are inaccessible on those items, so an automotive stethoscope would be your next tool to get out. Can be had pretty cheaply at most parts stores. Touch the stethoscope probe to the part in question, and you should hear a much amplified squeaking/grinding noise coming from the offending part. Be especially careful of the fan, because it is very easy to forget where you are putting your hands when you're concentrating on a sound. Good luck!

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
What kind of squeek is it? It could even be something like the started, but the fact that you say it goes away makes me think not.

It's most likely the idler pulley, but it could be one of the other pulleys as well. If you spray some lubricant on the actual belt itself, and the squeek goes away, then you have an alignment problem with your pulleys.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never had any issues with belts or pulleys on this truck... its when its real cold outside and actually my 01 Tahoe does the same darn thing?

The fact it goes away has me wondering too...