Spotted Windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so on my truck something that is driving me absolutely insane. My windshield has little teeny tiny spots all over it. Like if someone didn't mask well enough and oversprayed clear. you can't feel them and can see them inside or out in sunlight. i have tried everythign i know. alcohol with a magic eraser. polishing compound and cant get rid of them. i even tried alcohol and magic eraser on inside, cause honestly you can't tell if they are inside or out. anybody have any clue what it might be or how to get rid of it?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Microscopic pits in the windshield that got an acid based cleaner in them. A lot of car washes, especially touchless, use acid based.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Microscopic pits in the windshield that got an acid based cleaner in them. A lot of car washes, especially touchless, use acid based.

As the resident car wash expert here, I have a question for you. Should I steer clear of the touchless automatic washes if I want my factory paint to last? I usually go that route just because of the convenience but I don't mind getting out and spraying it off myself if that's a safer option.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
As the resident car wash expert here, I have a question for you. Should I steer clear of the touchless automatic washes if I want my factory paint to last? I usually go that route just because of the convenience but I don't mind getting out and spraying it off myself if that's a safer option.
Also curious to know... I take the c350 through the touch less car wash all the time. I've noticed the clear coat on the black roof rails have started to peel, although I'm not sure if it's a result of the car wash, or because it sits in the California sun 24/7, or maybe some poor treatment from the PO.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe an issue with the actual lamination of the glass?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Also curious to know... I take the c350 through the touch less car wash all the time. I've noticed the clear coat on the black roof rails have started to peel, although I'm not sure if it's a result of the car wash, or because it sits in the California sun 24/7, or maybe some poor treatment from the PO.
Knowing what I now know, I wouldn't go through one again. The chemicals that are used are really harsh. I had a talk with our soap supplier about using some of those chemicals in our prep area to make prepping easier. He immediately said that there is no way that he would do it.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe an issue with the actual lamination of the glass?
My soap supplier told me that if a windshield has pits or cracks deep enough and an acid based cleaner is used, like is common in touchless, that it will damage the lamination.