spider question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessezipper

Reaction score
so as im looking at my spider , the mount at the intake.... the bolt is a torx bolt, and its not down all the way ,causing the plug to move up and down when i give it gas.... as im dealing with a possible vacuum leak and a misfire on cylinder 5, and gonna tear back into it, i want to now if the play is a normal thing or if the PO was a hack and i need to replace it and make sure the bolt is tight all the way down with no play on the mount.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
It's a real ***** to get it down over the spider, but it does go all the way down.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I probably had my upper on and off 5-6-7 times trying to scoot all the lines around and whatnot to get it to sit right.

I mean, it really takes so much effort you're sure you're about to eff something up lol.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best advice is to get some Vaseline or other petroleum jelly and lube the oring and upper plenum where the injector wiring harness comes though. I can't recall having ever seen a Vortex with that bolt torqued down right. It shouldn't make any difference, as the upper plenum should hold the spider down fairly tight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I converted mine to the MPFI kit over the weekend and noticed the same thing about the bracket being loose. I just put all of the injectors in the right holes with the main plug above the holding bracket and then pushed it down and everything fell where it needed to. The bracket felt firm afterwards, i think the clearance is needed.. I also oiled the center o-ring with a little bit of engine oil. I recommend replacing the old style poppets with a mpfi kit. Mine runs much better, smoother and more power and solved a hard start issue I was having (leaking regulator).

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oi, autocorrect.

jessezipper

Reaction score
im experienceing the hard start now after i put it all back together ... new fuel pressure regulator for a 454 and new gaskets, no more vacuum leak but still #5 misfire....

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull it apart and move the #5 injector to another cylinder. If it the misfire follows the injector, you have your culprit. If it doesn't, it's time to check compression. Also, wouldn't hurt to check the #5 plug to see if it's fuel fouled.

Last edited: