Speedometer calibration...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now that I have a denali cluster in my truck I need to calibrate my speedometer badly. What is my best option for doing this?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
OBDII Gassers are done through the PCM calibration iirc. Changing just a cluster shouldn't effect it unless the denali cluster is weird that way. A change in tires or gears is a different story.

Diesels are still on the old DRAC/vssb system. Move a couple jumpers and you're good to go, with a diesel that is....

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OBDII Gassers are done through the PCM calibration iirc. Changing just a cluster shouldn't effect it unless the denali cluster is weird that way. A change in tires or gears is a different story.

Diesels are still on the old DRAC/vssb system. Move a couple jumpers and you're good to go, with a diesel that is....

Yeah, prior to cluster swap my speedo was off by 3-4 mph due to tire size. Now with the cluster swap it's off by 10+ I assume because it goes up to 120 mph when before it went up to 100 within the same "space" so to speak.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Anyone just pulled the needle off and set it correct around 60 mph or so? It would read a little fast below 60 and a little slow above 60, but it would be much closer

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Oems test at 55 mph for accuracy iirc. Below or above that the error in a factory gauge set gets suspect. Usually bigger the further off 55 you get (either way).

That's why police clusters say something like "police" or "calibrated" on the gauge face.

It so when they pace you at a speed, it's admissible no matter what yours said....

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, so from all this I'm guessing that we're not sure of a good way to recalibrate a speedo? :D

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone just pulled the needle off and set it correct around 60 mph or so? It would read a little fast below 60 and a little slow above 60, but it would be much closer

Yes, the previous owner did. It reads faster up to 40 then slower above that. Shows 5 mph siting still.