Speed sensor help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billys44s

Reaction score
I recently put a new transmission in my 92 chevy 1500 and before i parked it to do the swap my speedometer worked fine but after i swapped in it hasnt moved since, i have the harness for the sensor hooked up and i have the plug im assuming its for the lock up plugged up on the top of the transmission and still no movement. Ive been through 2 sensor and it hasnt change so im wondering if i missed something or there another speed sensor like a abs wheel speed sensor like alot of newer cars use thats bad?

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Yours is a 4l60 with the big speed sensor on the drivers side of the tail shaft cover?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is this a 2WD or 4WD? 4WD speed sensor is in the transfer case.

If it's 2WD did the new transmission have the reluctor ring on the tailshaft for the speed sensor? It'll be a straight cut metal "gear" in there for the speed sensor. If it's got a helical-cut plastic gear in there, the transmission is set up for a cable drive speedometer, not electronic like yours.

I'm not even 100% sure the tailshaft housings between either are directly compatible.. but someone else probably knows. Just saying, look in there and see what you've got on the tailshaft, if it's a 2WD trans, be sure you got one that's going to work for you.

No ABS wheel speed sensors used in GMT400 speedometer circuit.

Richard

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's 2WD did the new transmission have the reluctor ring on the tailshaft for the speed sensor?
^^^X2, a lot of transmission builders don't install the reluctor ring. Transmission Depot didn't on my 700R4 (4L60), I had to pull the one off my old trans. If you jack up the rear end higher than the front, you won't hardly loose any fluid when you drop the tail housing.

If you don't have your old trans, you can buy one...

IIRC the ring goes just behind the 2 holes in the tail shaft.
You must be registered for see images attach