Spark plug boot shields... how do these work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
These are listed for my truck, but are not the OEM style. Online, I see pictures of something similar on the LS engines.

I'm confused on how they attach, and what the spring is for.

I can't grab the picture, so here's the Rockauto page: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8784860&cc=1353451&jsn=3069

The heat shields on my 454 rotted and fell off years ago. They looked more like the shields that are mega$$$ for restorations for the Chevelle. I probably don't need them, since the truck seems to be fine without, but if I'm going to replace plugs and wires, I'd like to replace the shields too since I had shields from the factory.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
The wire boot goes into the open end and you pushes it onto the the plug from the spring end. The spring allow the shield stay in contact with the engine "ground" and provides a low impedance path to ground for the RFI voltage spike occurring as a result of the ignition coil release of energy into the plug wires. I guess some engines have a hell of an ignition coil that could wreak havoc on a computer?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Interesting, I never would have guessed the springs were for a ground.

Any opinion between these and the sock style?

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
The spring also probably to keep the boot and cable positioned well too.

I would like the sock style unless the metal ones are a good fit to the boot and there was plenty of clearance around the plugs. I would want anything to cut my boot when i was trying to force the boots on the plug with limited clearance. Ignition problems would surely arise at some point.

BTW I ran across a neat article on ignition RFI if anyone were interested.
https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/eye-on-electronics-january-2010/

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would like the sock style unless the metal ones are a good fit to the boot and there was plenty of clearance around the plugs. I would want anything to cut my boot when i was trying to force the boots on the plug with limited clearance. Ignition problems would surely arise at some point.

The boots and shields look to be the same as what's used on the LS engines, so unless the dimensions are off in real life, I'd think there would not be any risk of cuts. Unless it's just a bad design from GM. I'm tempted to go with the socks, but I'm afraid of two things... they get dirty and crappy looking (which may be solved by getting black), or they'll get frayed.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good read! I knew about Faraday cages before but not about how much potential RFI is generated.

Any opinion between these and the sock style?

I have angled plugs and right angled boots so I have socks on the back 2 cylinders on both sides of my 5.7 (melted the crap out of 4 of my new Moroso Blue Max wire boots. Oh well, lesson learned).

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the sock style on my 8.5mm MSD wires and have zero complaints, other than they were a PITA to get the boots over the angled part of the wires. The material is very tough/durable, I can't imagine that anything less than a piece of metal with a sharp/jagged edge or a sharp pointy piece would do anything much to them.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with some Titanium heat socks, look nice and should serve their purpose without costing much. I also upgraded to 8mm wires.